How Legit Is This?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by markjones05, Jun 17, 2003.

1. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

2. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

It looks like what they call a "gray market" distributor. Usually, Sony, Apple, Cannon etc have a price that a reseller has to hold up. Can't sell at a discount. The gray market distributor buys overstocks or buys from a reseller who sells it to them slightly above his cost (not retail). Example, reseller thinks he can sell 50 cameras at retail and sell some extra cameras to a gray market dealer. Orders 100 cameras at $500. Retail price is $700. Sells 50 cameras himself at retail and sells the other 50 cameras for $550 to gray market dealer.

I bought my digital camera this way. Save a few hundred dollars. Gray market dealers are usually legit for warranties. However, something they are not. Cannon may not warranty the camera unless purchased at an authorized reseller.

Or it could be a scam. I don't know anything about that particular company.

3. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I bought a Canon mini DV from ibuydigital.com. It was about 10% less than anywhere else. Totally legitimate. New product, and I was very happy with it. Check out pricegrabber.com where people write in with their experiences, they have a fairly high rating.

4. markjones05 thread starter macrumors 6502a

markjones05

Yea I checked pricegrabber and everything looks good for the most part. I just wanted to get a few opinions from you guys because theres always someone on here that knows the inside scoop about everything. I've called up and they dont really have any patients for people questioning the integrity of there buisiness, but I think im gonna order it anyway.