How likely is it that the Display line will be updated soon?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Bonnie, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Bonnie macrumors member

Hello,

I am in the purchase of arranging an interesting trade for a lightly used 23" display that is covered under Applecare. (basically, my PS3 20gb for the display)

I'll be using this display at home...connecting it to the Macbook I plan on purchasing soon for Photoshop/Illustrator/Flash work. I might also tinker with hooking up an Xbox 360 with it, and maybe an elgato sometime.

Anyway, I guess I was curious if the displays are going to be changed or improved any time soon? I know nobody knows for sure...and yes, I looked at the buying guide.

Maybe I'm just looking for reassurance that this Display is worth it. I have one at work and like it. Thanks a bunch. :)

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Personally, I don't see display updates soon. As you saw in the buyer's guide, they were just updated in August. There are rumors of a new 17" widescreen display, but they're sketchy at best. I would be comfortable with purchasing a display now.

That said (and note that I'm not a gamer, so I'm not playing with a full deck here), my understanding is that the Xbox 360 does not support DVI connectivity. And also, I believe that the Apple Cinema Displays only support DVD-D and not DVD-I, so an adapter would be very expensive. I could be wrong on that though...hopefully someone will correct me if I am.

3. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Agreed on the displays. And while I am not a gamer either, I have looked at elgato and I believe their inputs allow you to hook up an xbox or ps, their site has specific info on it. I'm not sure how it works but I'm fairly sure it allows you to use your Mac display, whether iMac, notebook, or ACD as the game console display without lag.