how long a wait for a revision

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ads musicmac, Feb 27, 2006.

  1. ads musicmac macrumors newbie

    ads musicmac

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2006
    Location:
    britain
    #1
    Being reasonably new to these mac dealings, i was wondering if there was any approximate time period before a revision in any particular line happened.

    My reasoning is whether or not to get a Macbook Pro now or wait for the revb. I don't need one now as my G5 workhorse is running fine, it's just i'm in my last year of higher education and therefore access to the student discount will end in June.

    Any thoughts or insights on this would be useful.

    Cheers

    (Ah i just realised there's a post further down that answers my question whoops!)
     
  2. Captagon macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2006
    #2
    Hi,

    I have the same problem, exept for the fact that my iBook now is officialy dead (repairs would cost me 910 euros). I don't think there will be an macbook pro rev B before juni. I just stopped by the local apple store (in belgium that is) and they don't expect the macbook untill the end of march. So I guess it is impossible to get a rev B before June.

    Buy
     
  3. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

    Spanky Deluxe

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2005
    Location:
    London, UK
    #3
    I don't think there's a hope in hell for rev B MacBooks by June. Right now the folks at Apple are more concerned with getting Rev A Intel models out for every computer in their product line up. Only then will they start to consider releasing rev B models.
    However, maybe the 12" and 17" MacBooks when (or if) they come out could be considered as Rev A.b since their technology will be 90% similar to the 15" model but will have been finished later.
    Don't expect a Rev B MacBook until at the earliest September.
     
  4. CoMpX macrumors 65816

    CoMpX

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2005
    Location:
    New Jersey
    #4
    I agree. If you are OK with the 15" model, just go for it now because you won't see a new one in time for June. If it's a 12" or 17" you want, wait on that.
     
  5. MacMosher macrumors 6502

    MacMosher

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2006
    Location:
    Canada
    #5
    Yes aswell I find the buyers guide very good. You can usually trust it to be pretty spot on.
     
  6. Chupa Chupa macrumors G4

    Chupa Chupa

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2002
    #6
    In the days when new PPC chips were few and far between revs took between 6 and 15 months, with 8 months being the avg. wait. We are now in a new era so it's going to take awhile to put some data points up.

    That said, you say you are perfectly OK with your G5 now. So buying a MBP now, if you don't need it, would be a waste of $. The Apple discount isn't so great that you'll want to rush to buy a new machine in June either (though technically your EDU discount doesn't expire until the start of the next school year).

    So if I were you I just save my $ until I really needed a laptop or new machine.
     
  7. ipacmm macrumors 65816

    ipacmm

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2003
    Location:
    Cincinnati, OH
    #7
    If you do buy a MacBook Pro now, I would just buy Apple Care and if you have any issues Apple will take care of it.
     
  8. matticus008 macrumors 68040

    matticus008

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2005
    Location:
    Bay Area, CA
    #8
    The school year runs July to June, so it will expire right away. Some university bookstores extend your discount for a few months after you graduate, though, so you might be able to order with a discount...but I have a feeling there won't be any 15" MacBook revisions until after the whole line goes Intel.
     
  9. williamw macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2005
    Location:
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    #9
    I agree. You would have no worries, and if i did f-up you would probaly be sent a next rev:)
     

Share This Page