How long a wait for new PowerBooks for other online stores?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by PieMac, Feb 1, 2005.

1. PieMac macrumors 6502a

Oct 3, 2002
    I preordered the new 15" superdrive PowerBook from Amazon last night and nearly fell over when I saw the estimated ship date: April 5th!! :eek:

I've ordered my last two powerbooks from Amazon because they take great care with the packaging (double boxed), have a really good returns/exchange policy (if need), no sales tax (which in this case, would be approx. $138.00 bucks), and I've always been pleased with my purchases and service. Most of the time the items I've ordered from them usually ship well before the estimated ship date, but April?! :confused:

Is anybody else getting this kind of delay with other online vendors?
    I'm going to give them a week or so to see if the dates get bumped up or I may just have to get this one from Apple and cough up the sales tax. I really don't see me waiting that much longer...especially after all of this. Or can anyone recommend other online retailers that are exceptional with their policies and reputation?

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    macconnection says 1-2 weeks. I think whether they charge tax depends on your state.
  3. PieMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oct 3, 2002
    #3 just seems odd that Amazon would be 1-2 months when macconnection is 1-2 weeks. I have to think that they're maybe going with the worst case scenario and they will make adjustments accordingly as the new PB shipments start coming in.

I wrote them about it, but no one seems to know anything more.
  4. wizz0bang macrumors member

Feb 2, 2005
    As of tonight, Amazon is stating "1 - 2 weeks" for the new revision of 12" PowerBook. I do hope they will continue offering the $150 rebate on it. Does anyone know if Amazon will continue it?
  5. dvono macrumors newbie

Feb 1, 2005
    no rebate on new models

The rebate only applies to the previous PowerBook model. The new models that we're waiting for don't have a rebate. I e-mailed Amazon about this and got the following response:

"I have found that the current rebate offer will only include the
    model numbers that are listed on the rebate offer. As the new model
    numbers are not listed they would not be included with the rebate
  6. PieMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oct 3, 2002
    My pre-order ship date (placed on Jan. 31) still says April 2 as of this morning-even in light of the change yesterday to the 1-2 week ship time. Surely they will update my order accordingly? I could cancel my order and reorder with an updated ship date of Feb. 11 but I'm afraid that I will lose my place in the queue...not to mention that the nice Amazon rep. upgraded my shipping to one day at no charge and I don't want to lose that deal. Isn't it first come, first served with an item is on preorder?
  7. msbsound macrumors regular

Jul 16, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    1 Week

Just ordered a 12" from powermax. They said that they would have stock in about 7 days. Whether I believe that or not....
  8. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Dec 27, 2004
    Avon, IN
    Just got mine

I ordered mine on Monday the 31st and it JUST came (like 20 mins ago) all the way from China. I did not expect to see it so soon by any means but somehow Apple got it to me in 2 days. If they are showing that long of a wait on other sites I'm surprised. I ordered mine through apple because I get the dicount so that was the natural way to go for me. If you really want one now I would consider ordering it through apple directly. They are still showing 1-3 days on their website. Just my 2 cents.

By the way the new powerbook is great. No dead pixels (YAY!!!) and it seems very snappy. The extra stock ram is a big help I'm sure. That and the 5400 RPM hard drive is nice too. I am very pleased.