how long before my new g5 is obsolete?

Discussion in 'Games' started by ijimk, Jul 18, 2004.

1. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

basically i just want to know how long of a life my new dual 1.8 g5 has and is no longer to play new games on the market. i plan on doing video editing with it too, but i would also like to play some games as well. I am thinking 4-5 years what do you all think?

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

With the option of video card upgrades, faster future HD replacements, better optical drive options in the future... I think your dual-1.8 should last you as long as you indicate.

But... no system anyone can buy today, on any platform, is going to be very competitive on state-of-the-art games announced four years from now. Meaning your system will play most games in 2008/2009, but it won't excel at the most demanding ones.

3. msharp macrumors regular

msharp

well, i am really satisfied with your opionion. :) :) :)
    if i could meet you by chance somewhere, i gotta buy you a drink!!!
    :)

4. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

As long as ATI, and Nvidia make AGP 8X compatible Mac video cards for awhile then you should be fine. If you put the money into it your G5 should last you for awhile as the previous poster noted.

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

That would be the first recognition that my opinion - on anything - has any real (and positive) value to anyone. ;)

6. justin216 macrumors 6502

justin216

I'd say within six months we'll have more G5 only games, then about a year later, minimum reqs might be a Dual G5 1.8/2.0...unfortuantely, games keep having higher and higher requirements, and they are increasing very quick. A year and a half from now, there will be around 3 more revisions to the G5 line total, I'm guessing anywhere from 3-4ghz machines. Having a dualie, I'd say you'd be expected to be able to play for about 1.75-2 years without doing any processor/video/memory upgrading, but no more than 2.5yrs with upgrading everything but the processor.

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I don't think processor upgrades for the G5s are even possible. To be quite honest, I know of no Mac games that require a G5 - could you name some?

8. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

Most of the advanced games these days require a 1GHz G4 or G5. I'm sure they just throw the G5 in there for less confusion to the consumers, so, no, no games require a G5.

9. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

That clears that up, then. I don't play computer games very much - on my Mac or my PC.

10. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

As long as you feed it new components, it should last you quite a while. Five years may be pushing it, but at least four. As far as upgrading the G5, I'd be surprised if you could upgrade it past 2.5GHz, if that far, due to the variance in pin configurations.

11. ltgator333 macrumors member

Processor upgrades

I wouldn't discount the prowess of Sonnet, Powerlogix, and the other companies that make Mac processor upgrades. These companies make they're living off figureing out how to cram a much more powerful than stock processor into machines, it's all or most of what they do with themselves. To be honest I think if IBM is as freindly about doing business with the upgrade world as Moto is, (which they have been- Powerlogix sports a whole lineup of IBM 750FX and 750GX based upgrades, all of which are powered by IBM chips.) I wouldn't be suprised a little over a year from now to start seeing processor upgrades for Pmac G5's.

12. justinshiding macrumors member

Yeah. I'd agree with the four years or so estimate for general game playing. That's been true of my good old computer. The athlon 700 is still kicking five years later and just recently has it become almost impossible for me to play new games (although it runs rise of nations and other non intensive games decently) and that's with a cruddy radeon 7200 card. So , I'd assume it would be similar for a mac...The only thing I can say it that having lots of ram really seems to extend the life of a computer (in terms of usability.)

13. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I think it will be obsolete in April 2005 with the new Power5-UL-based PowerMacs.

Hopefully these will be the machines that introduce Mac users to PCI-e video cards.

---

Of course everybody will instantly start complaining that Apple didn't add a dual slot PCI-e system so they can use the Nvidia 6800/SLI card. :rolleyes:

Sort of like the mouse, add a second button and they'll want a scroll wheel, add a scroll wheel, and they ask for a free wireless mouse, add free wireless mouse, and they ask for...

14. Ninja_Turtle macrumors 6502

party

well not to sound very neggative, but most computer companies upgrade their systems every 6 months or so, sometimes more, but anywho, youll never have the TOP of the line computer, because they are always upgrading them...as for your G5, eh, most games are now 1ghz minimum requirements, but as a G4, your G5 might have a slighty better boost, and as for video editing, if your using Final Cut Pro 3, your in pretty good hands with you G5, i run FCP 3 on my G3 600mhz iBook, and it runs decent...cheers!
    :D

15. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

So that means G3-based machines and early G4s are out of luck for playing modern games? I have a game for my Mac, called RealMyst. Its requirements are a G3 Mac 300 MHz or faster, Mac OS 8.6 or later/64 MB RAM, Mac OS 10.1 or later/128 MB RAM, 3D Video Card/16 MB Memory. My PowerBook G4 just barely met the video card requirement (but easily surpassed the CPU speed and memory requirements); my iMac exceeds all the requirements, and plays quite smoothly.

16. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

Video cards are the killer for notebooks when it comes to games. My TiBook 500 shipped with a lowly 8MB video card, which was incapable, even at its release, of playing any sort of OpenGL-based game with reasonable results.