How long can i keep my 17"PB on?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Solafaa, Oct 30, 2004.

1. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

I have my laptop on a lot sometimes when i am downloading torrents or other things and after i come and try to play a game it get really hot from the bottem. Should i be worried about that? how long should i keep it on? if i work with it for a long period of it or if it heats up how long should i shut it down for?

Any other tips would be great, thanks in advance.

2. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Which model do you have, revision A (1Ghz G4) ? That's the one I have, it gets hot after a while. I make sure it's on a flat surface so that air can circulate underneath it to help it keep cool. (With my TiBook I sometimes flip-up the keyboard and let cool air directly in :D )

As for uptime, I had mine up for 68 days once, in & out of sleep. I don't think you need to worry about it too much.

3. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

coolpads are good too....a flat piece of plastic with little nubs that hold the whole comp at an angle so the air flows through.
    or, you know, a hardcover book can do the same thing.

4. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

as 5300 has already said, you can keep it on as long as you like, Fans will kick in once the temperature goes up. However make sure you have it on a hard flat surface so air can circulate, so for example don't leave it sitting on a duvet for a prolonged period.

5. Solafaa thread starter macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

I have it on my ap most of the time, canyouguys recommend something for me. I use it mostly on my lazyboy chair.

6. reh macrumors 6502a

I just use a plastic cutting board.

7. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

8. Calvinatir macrumors 6502

Calvinatir

my Rev. A 17" was on for 34 days until last night, when i put another 512 DDR RAM into it! :) it was worth the reset of my uptime