how long can i run CRT on PB b4 meltdown?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by ChrisH3677, Jun 3, 2004.

1. ChrisH3677 macrumors 6502a

I've got a 1Ghz TiBook. I want to run it closed with a CRT (and kbd & mouse). is it still susceptible to overheating in this state? I want to run it pretty much most of the time this way.

2. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

no, apple engineers wouldn't let it run with a closed lid if it overheated. the engineers thought of that in the design phase i am sure ;)

3. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

you obviously haven't had much experience dealing with engineers... but your faith is refreshing. ;)

4. legion macrumors 6502a

I'm sure it's not so much faith as naivete.

Engineers are people too and companies are prone to make "exaggerated" claims for marketing purposes--usually against the will of the engineers.

5. ChrisH3677 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The manual essentially says not to use the PB with the lid closed tho.

6. gotohamish macrumors 65816

gotohamish

Exactly - heat on my TiBook comes out of my speakers and keys, so eventually, that would damage the screen.

7. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

no i believe in testing

8. applekid macrumors 68020

Really? Man, that's pretty stupid. I was imagining buying a PB and a Cinema Display for home. I could be at school working, come back home, and keep the lid close and hook it up to the monitor.

9. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Solution: start the computer up with the lid closed, then after you are logged in, open the lid again. The LCD will stay off until you restart or put the computer to sleep.

10. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

if space is not a huge issue for you, you could always just leave the PB open but turn the screen brightness way down if you're worried. or use monitor spanning to take full advantage of your having two screens. whichever.

11. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)

Man! I was hoping I could do this too. Are you saying I can't without destroying my 'Book?!?! :O :(

12. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Well, I've been running my PowerBook in closed lid mode for 7 months now. Never had a problem, and my screen looks fine. As others have said, if you are concerned, open the lid after the image is on the external screen.

13. ChrisH3677 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i tested last night. Ran it for a couple of hours. Didn't get barely warm at all. But it is winter here (tho am inside).

Apple certainly discourage in the manual, running with the lid closed - and did not provide any way to do so (except an external screen and kbd). So possibly, they only mean when a keyboard and screen are not connected.

Maybe the screen would still run if you over-rode the sleep when closed (as some utilities do).

Strange. Or maybe Apple are just trying to cover themselves..

14. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Having Owned a TiBook for 3 years, and having used it as a DVD Player (For a TV), a Divx Player (For a TV), a VideoGame System (For a TV), a Second computer at work (Hooked up to a CRT), etc... I have found that the system is much quieter, and much cooler than most assume. I have never had a problem using the machine closed for all the above uses, infact it is much more convienient. You shouldn't have any problems, however, that being said, I would suggest that when you do use it in closed mode, make sure to use a book or stand to allow extra air to flow under the machine and allow it to cool faster.

I would, just to be safe, put the computer to sleep when you do not plan on using it for a while (2hours or more), that will prevent any possible problems.

TEG

15. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

Apple has a tech note on their support site for using your PowerBook with the display closed:

Using your PowerBook G4 with the display closed

So, from my understanding, the PowerBooks you can use with the display closed include: PowerBook G3 (Pismo), PowerBook G4 (all models).

The ones you can't use with the display closed are all other PowerBook G3's (Lombard, Wallstreet, Kanga)... and any iBook.

16. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

17. Coolvirus007 macrumors regular

They have a pb 12" w/ the lid closed and connected to a cinema display as a demo for this possiblity. So I'm sure its not discouraged if they do it themselves. I always use a bt mouse, keyboard, and cinema disp. I hardly ever touch the laptop itself.

*I chose to buy the pb for this setup because I have a space problem, heat problem (powermacs heat up the room in a matter of minutes), and noise problem so don't ask me why I didn't by a pm g5 instead. :)