How long can one hold out?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by ottonian, Feb 4, 2003.

1. ottonian macrumors member

Just some venting. I'm on a Power Computing Power Center Pro with a Nupower 400 G3 card and an ATI Rage 128 graphics card. Needless to say I've held out a loooong time. Now with the IBM 970 buzz, looks like the end of 2003 before anything important changes. Every new rumor turns into a letdown. My feeling is to upgrade now, block out the emotional roller coaster of the latest/greatest around the corner and I'll still have a smoking machine...comments?

2. morlium macrumors regular

You answered your own question ...

quit reading these damn sites and buy what you need.

3. oldMac macrumors 6502a

Just buy already

You've held out too long. You deserve a nice new dual-proc G4.

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I just picked up a dual 1.25 yesterday that was left over from before the recent upgrade, so it was top of the line a week or so ago - 2MB level 3 cache, super drive, 120 gig hard drive, etc. for about 800 off what it used to be. You might want to look into finding one of those, or if you want to drop more money for the little extra you'll get for a Dual 1.42, bluetooth, firewire 800, etc.

Basically its all about what you're going to do with it. Even if you went and got an iMac it would make your current machine feel like a dog.

D

5. ottonian thread starter macrumors member

YOU'RE RIGHT!!

I do deserve a machine now and I do need to stop reading these rumor sites. As soon as the ATI card is an available option, [did I do it again?] I'm commiting before I get commited!

6. Das macrumors regular

ru·mor
    (n.) A piece of unverified information of uncertain origin usually spread by word of mouth.

By the way, I'm loving my g5 sphere that came out in 1999 with its luxurious 3 ghz processor, it goes so well with my Newton 2.

7. ottonian thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the feedback!

Time to get off the sidelines and get in the game...

8. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Let us know what you purchase. The lower price really makes these new machines atractive. Who knows 3rd quarter to come and still with disappointment. If our dream comes true you will have 6 months to enjoy your new machine!

9. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Re: How long can one hold out?

Figure out your needs and wallet and go for it. There is allways going to be faster bigger and better around the corner and most of us allready are spoiled mac users.

10. Bunzi2k4 macrumors 6502

I should too i guess...

I have an old imac 350 mghz have no clue what kind of a video card... but its not enough to play any new games... and what sux about this comp is that i can't install a cpu upgrade... but when do you guys think i should upgrade... i kno the Emacs have dropped... but i want something really portable... mayb an ibook or the new 12"pw... nyways... what should i get, or wait?

11. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

Re: I should too i guess...

I know you probably don't want to hear this, but there are upgrades for your machines.

I think I remember seeing G3 upgrades to about 600 Mhz, and even a tray loading Combo Drive. So you squeeze a little more life out of it.

Just so your decision is a bit harder...

(Buy a new computer) :)

12. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Dont get the ATI 9700! Its just not worth it at this point. Get the Radeon 9000, its a great card, tons of performance for the money. The PowerMacs don't even have the AGP 8x for the 9700, its just not worth it at this point.

13. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

8x preformance is almost equivent to 4x performance.

The 9700 has little/no gain in preformance from going from 4-8. Check the PC places, it really does make a massive difference.

14. garzy macrumors regular

ahaha that was so funny!!!

anyway, Bunz,

dont get an emac, they suck
    im on one right now at school
    save your money for something a little nicer

15. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

You do know that AGP 8x is more than twice the speed of 4x, right? And most PC tests using the 9700 are using 8x motherboards.

16. Das macrumors regular

I've read a few reviews ranging from Tom's to Extreme Tech which show both the 4x and 8x benches. They are dead even (well, the 8x did score as much as 1.2 frames over the 4x). I haven't read anything on the 9700 pro (this test was with nvidia's top ti cards).

There just isn't enough data to send to warrant an 8x agp right now.

17. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

The reason that those tests didn't show any improvement was because none of Nvidia's cards (that are currently shipping) use AGP 8x. Only CARDS that support AGP 8x actually use it, 4x cards will see no improvement from it.

18. aethier macrumors 6502a

aethier

Re: Re: How long can one hold out?

I just thought that you would want to know that you are able to upgrade your 350Mhz imac. http://eshop.macsales.com/ is a link to a site the sells many products including cpu upgrades for imacs emacs ibooks pbooks g4 towers. so i hope there is something there for you. PS; im on a 333Mhz tangerine iMac right know so i know how you feel.. lol

Anyways my dad orderd a 17'AlPB (through the apple online store) wich is schedualed to arive the 20th of march.. it is maxed out on all features ie: 1 gig of ram ect. but apple wa so kind as to send us the extra power adapter..lol
    anywayys have a nice week everyone

19. aethier macrumors 6502a

aethier

Re: I should too i guess...

Oops sorry people this is the guy i meant to quote... (its my first time posting a reply i thought the quote button was ontop of the post not the bottm..)

20. Das macrumors regular

The cards I'm referring to are the Ti4200 and the MX440 (the only two nvidia 4th gen cards that were made to 8x to my knowledge, the rest stayed 4x).

Again, this was just for those two cards and not for the 9700 pro. I haven't seen any benchmarks comparing the two boards (4x and 8x) with a 9700.

21. austincpy macrumors member

dude, i know what you mean. I’m still stuck with a 8600 with a G3 400 card in it. But, I’ve decided that I am going to wait for the 970 PM, because the machine still works. BTW, I use Final Cut Pro, and although it’s freakin’ slow, I would hold out.

22. aethier macrumors 6502a

aethier

On that note, does anyone have a good idea on the speeds of the 970?? i have being hearing mixed comments so..

i think it would be wise on apples part to start 970 at a speed that will get the attention of PC users. because.. lets say that the 970 starts at?? ~1.5. even if it is faster then a 2.5 P4 they wouldnt know or care. PC people never wached apples presentation on the MHZ myth. they do not understand the motorola and ibm chips arent intel or amd chips.. they just see numbers they dont make the conection that it is possible to have smaller GHz and still be faster due to architecture disign but whatever... let then stay with there crapp PC"S they will be the ones with errors and stuff..

23. Bunzi2k4 macrumors 6502

I still need something faster than a 600

i am a ... wait... I was a serious gamer, and 600 is just on the line of requirements. I'm even lagging in Diablo II!!! i'd much rather save some money for a better comp...

i think i can get a new comp around summer... hopefully...

24. Bunzi2k4 macrumors 6502

by the way

i checked the link... and well all it shows for acclerators are firewire ports w/ not enought information... whoopdedoo lol

25. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

... and the floor every time it rolls of your desk. :p :D