HOW LONG can you wait to buy APPLECARE??

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by treeka79, Dec 31, 2005.

1. treeka79 macrumors newbie

Dec 31, 2005
    I have a 2GHZ Powermac G5 that i bought about 5 months ago.
    I have absolutely no problems with it at all, but i'd still like to buy the extended warrenty.

Someone told me that if i want to buy the extented AppleCare Warrenty i have to do it within the first 6 months, and if you purchase it too late, they won't let you use it.
    Is this true???
  2. Jestered macrumors 6502

Oct 13, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    No that is not true. You have to buy it before the original warranty expires which is one year.
  3. Eithanius macrumors 65816

Nov 19, 2005
  4. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Aug 1, 2004
    The City of Culture, Englandshire
    If memory serves, you can buy AppleCare at any point before your computer's 12 month regular warranty expires.
  5. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

Mar 14, 2005
    That's true, you can buy up till 12 months after purchase. Some people have had stuff-ups though, so it's probably best to give yourself at least a month's breathing time.

Also, (though I've yet to do it myself), buying Applecare does entitle you to more than the regular "limited" warranty, (such as next day collection and delivery for a repair, free and unlimited technical advice which costs otherwise and more). For a desktop, that isn't all that easy to carry to a store with a problem, I'd probably aim to take out Applecare as soon as I could afford it. Certainly, it's not a great idea to buy it on the last day of your regular warranty.

If you registered your Mac the day you got it, you'll know exactly when the warranty runs out. If you're unsure, go to the Apple support pages and do the serial number check.