How long did your order from Apple.com take?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by quasar720, Aug 11, 2004.

1. quasar720 macrumors member

quasar720

I am considering ordering a BTO Powerbook from Apple.com and (of course) am quite eager to get it. I was wondering how long on average delivery took for other Mac users that have done BTO?

Order:

• 1.33GHz PowerPC G4 with 64MB Graphics Memory
    • 256MB DDR333 SDRAM - 1 SO-DIMM
    • 80GB Ultra ATA drive @ 5400 rpm - BTO
    • Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
    • Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
    • AirPort Extreme Card
    • iPod w/Click Wheel (20GB) - Cram & Jam
    • 15.2-inch TFT Display

All this would be delivered to the Metro Detroit Area...

2. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

When I ordered my rev b 12" powerbook BTO here is what happened.

I added an extra 256 MB and ae card. Shipped the very next business day and got it 3 days later(via fedex).

3. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

Assuming the parts are in stock, Apple delivers orders very quickly. Now if you were ordering a dual 2.5 G5, that would be a completely different story...

4. quasar720 thread starter macrumors member

quasar720

That's great news! Did you have to pay any extra shipping costs?

5. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

I doubt he did. Apple's free shipping is very fast, and sometimes they upgrade it to even faster shipping at no charge.

6. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I fedexed it so it cost me $12 more. In my view well worth it.

7. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

Sorry, my mistake. I didn't upgrade my shipping and it didn't take more than 3 days for me to get my powerbook, so I just assumed the same was true in your case.

8. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Ordered mine on July 9th. BTO 1.5 GHz 15" PB. Upgraded to the 5400 rpm harddrive, 128 MB vram, 1 512 MB ram stick, and Final Cut Express pre-installed. I also got a 40 GB iPod through Cram & Jam. I had it all shipped at once to avoid getting any of it before a mid-term exam. It all shipped on July 20th. I had upgraded to 2nd day shipping on Monday of that week. I picked everything up at Fed Ex on thursday the 22nd. I think part of what held it up was low stock on the 40 GB iPods and the introduction of the 4 G iPods. It was all worth the wait though....:)

9. lucab1982 macrumors member

Did they send you a 4G one or a 3G one? Man, If it was a 3G one I would be annoyed! :D

10. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

I heared some bad things about the 4G... a lot of complaints since the Mini was released... so I'm very pleased I have my 3G... a pity I have the 30GB since the 40GB was released 2weeks later :-S

when I ordered my G5 I didn't go trough apple.com since my brothers revA 12"Pb took a long time and he only added more ram at the time... I ordered it at a friends company... took me less than 2 weeks to get it with airport extreme + 1GB extra ram (but I had to install it myself since they shipped parts not BTO) and the G5 had the same price as apple sells it but the AE & Ram was much cheaper ;-)

so I think if you don't buy stuff that is high in demand or just newly released apple.com can work fast ;-)

11. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

'tis a 4G one. I probably would have ended up with a 3G if I had things shipped when they were available. By holding off I avoided too many new toys distracting me from my mid-term and I got the newer iPod.

BTW the 4 G iPod has worked perfectly for me, not a single complaint.

12. quasar720 thread starter macrumors member

quasar720

You can order a BTO system through a local Apple retail store as well right? Has anyone tried that and found that they received their stuff quicker than waiting for it to ship to their home? (I figure bulk shipments to the retail stores) On the other hand, do you avoid paying state sales tax by ordering through Apple.com as opposed to the store?

13. NusuniAdmin macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

my dad does this a lot at his work:

if your work place allows you to have items shipped their DO IT. They will come in usually much faster because it is a buisness and not a residential place. This is what i am probly going to do with my g4 tower whenever it gets ordered.

14. ecche macrumors regular

here's how things worked out for me when i ordered my bto powerbook from the german apple store: ordered on july 20th, shipped on 27th july (which was actually within the initially predicted time frame), then a loooong wait until delivery on august 9th. i am told that kuehne & nagel, a german logistics company almost traditionally has a very bad performance on carrying goods from taiwan to germany. by comparison, transport of bto goods from taiwan to the us takes only a fraction of the above.

having eventually received my pb i can only say that it was well worth the long wait...

15. Lincoln macrumors regular

Lincoln

7 days

I ordered my PowerBook on Wednesday 4th August @1PM, by 3AM the next day the Powerbook had shipped. It arrived 11:30 this Thursday morning (12th). I even had a phone call from TNT 15 minutes before hand to see if I would be in (I had to have a day off this week and I chose today- fluke or what :D ).

Thats not bad in my book (excuse the pun :rolleyes: ) coming from the other side of the planet. I never expected the PowerBook to be built in less than 24 hours. However, when I placed the order the (very friendly) sales lady listened to the CTO options I requested and gave me the price immediately, I guess that most 1.5Ghz Powerbook users ask for 5200RPM disk, 128MB VRAM and 1x 512MB DIMM.

Finally, I am very happy with my new arrival and expect to get many hours of use from it!

16. Toe macrumors 65816

Toe

I ordered a refurb PowerBook from the Special Deals section of the Apple Store, and after I placed my order was informed that it could be 1-2 months before the product even shipped, and then that it would ship by ground for many days.

My PowerBook showed up about three days later. Go figure.

17. quasar720 thread starter macrumors member

quasar720

Well I put in my order with Apple.com tonight and paid the extra $15 for 2-3 day shipping. I hope it shows up ASAP! I'll let you guys know when I am sitting happy with my brand new 15" Powerbook! :D

18. Natalia81 macrumors regular

I've noticed a lot of people are experiencing long delays after ordering their products. So my question is, when ordering from apple.com, when do they actually charge your card? I hope its after they ship the product off!

19. dejaentendu macrumors newbie

I ordered Tuesday morning at 8:00am PT and was charged a couple of hours later. My printer shipped the same day and arrived yesterday. My PowerBook and iPod shipped separately on Wednesday and will both be here on Monday (after the longest weekend ever). I paid for the quicker shipping.

20. Natalia81 macrumors regular

21. quasar720 thread starter macrumors member

quasar720

Mine is shipping with an iPod from Shanghai.

[UPDATE]
    My order is finally shipping after a harrowing weekend of negotiations between my credit card (Bank One) and Apple.com. Apparently, Bank One, in good faith, saw a large charge come through and flagged it for review. Now it's nice to have good security on your credit card, but it's also nice to be able to use the *@%# thing! I had to spend 2 hours on the phone calling Apple, having them try the transaction again, having it not work, calling Bank One. finding out why etc... In the end it took a 3-way conference call between myself, Apple.com and Bank One to resolve the issue. I don't carry any debt on the card and have excellent credit, it's just the new policies of trying to protect against identity theft etc.

Piece of advice - If any of you are planning on purchasing a system from Apple.com with a credit card call the credit card company and have them note your account. It will save you a lot of hassle and a delayed order. I found out a bit too late, :( but count myself lucky because the woman I was speaking to at Apple.com said that sometimes when there is a payment issue the order will be put on hold for 5-6 days. Don't let this happen to you!! :eek:

22. ozone macrumors 6502

ozone

Ordered through work. Order processed July 23, estimated ship Aug 3, delayed, estimated ship Aug 10, delayed, estimated ship Aug 17. Called Apple to find out what was going on... don't know. And then it turns out the wrong configuration was ordered - good thing I called or else I would have waited another 2 weeks for the wrong thing. Order cancelled. Have not bothered to place another order.

Good luck.

23. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

When I ordered my brother BTO iBook. I ordered it on a sunday, it was there by thursday.

24. Natalia81 macrumors regular

How did you know about this situation? Did Bank One call you? I guess it is good to know (at least) that your credit card company looks out for their customers. Identity theft is a bi#%h!!! I know...American Express called me once when I went outta town for a two days. They noticed that I had two gas charges in two days. Apparently this is one way how credit card thieves tell if a card is still good.

25. zodiac macrumors member