How long do BTO's take

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by andcraig, Jun 2, 2005.

1. andcraig macrumors regular

I just ordered a 15 inch powerbook..the 1.5 ghz but upped it to a gig of ram and a superdrive..last saturday
    it says on the status page that it will ship by june 8th, but does it really take that long to put in a different optical drive and RAM module?
    i know that memorial day weekend probably contributes, but 10 days still seems like an awfully long time to custom build it.
    Does anyone have any experience with how long these things normally take?

2. simmonstwin macrumors member

Cancel the order!!! apple is robbingyou for their price on that ram!!! Buy the ram third party!!. Also you might want to what until next week to order, there is a possibliity of an update next monday or tuesday. :)

3. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Yeah cancel the order, pay the restocking fee - buy another PowerBook, save money on the RAM (probably less than the restocking fee) ... yeah :rolleyes:

As for PowerBook updates - yeah that's going to happen!

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I'd say possible PB update on the 6th, but all stock PB's are shipping same-day, and many mods produce just the standard 1-3 day delay, so I suspect it means nothing.

And, if possible for you to cancel/change the order, I agree about the RAM - it's mucho cheaper 3rd party.

5. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

uhm, do they charge restocking fees for bto items that arent on their way yet? the ram price is definitely over the top, but if you're like me and your lazy / a moneywaster / too excited, then fine :)

i think the reason it says 8/06 is probably because they want to be safe. it's pot luck. sometimes it will ship before that date - sometimes it will be after.. just have to wait and see :cool:

6. andcraig thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not worrying about the RAM...dad insisted on getting it factory installed and he's paying..so eeh

And i basically decided if its an incremental update it probably won't be too substantial to affect me, and if its a major update i'd rather have a refined rev. D than a possibly buggy rev A...personally don't like getting version 1.0's of anything...besides..school ends soon and i can get photoshop and office from there...woo for teachers who don't care if you install software on your laptop

and thanks asif, i suspected they just put that date to be safe and use it as a blanket date just in case...after all..if you ship earlier than you said the people love you while if you ship later they'll complain.