Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jack Parker

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2015
I live very simply. My technology needs are basic. I only use my computer to browse, read the news, watch videos on YouTube and a few other sites. I don't have an iPhone or any other technology.

My iMac is a mid-2007 model and I'm going to replace it with my tax refund. While I'm at it, I think I'd like to get an iPod, (I don't want a smart phone) and I have some questions, if anyone is kind enough to help.

1. Reading this forum, I see that the software is getting old. If I bought a current iPod Touch, how much longer would it still be supported by iTunes and software updates? Basically, how long will I be able to use it until I it flat out won't work anymore?

2. How long until the battery just won't hold much of a charge anymore? Can they be replaced?

3. Are there any fees when it's used to access the internet where wifi is available? (Like how iPhones have a monthly fee for internet access.) 99% of the reason I want it, though, is simply to do what the first iPods did... listen to music/books while I go for a walk. The other features aren't necessary at all.

4. Any cautions/warnings you might have? Advice/Tips?

5. Where can I get the best price on one?

Thanks for your help.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I live very simply. My technology needs are basic. I only use my computer to browse, read the news, watch videos on YouTube and a few other sites. I don't have an iPhone or any other technology.

My iMac is a mid-2007 model and I'm going to replace it with my tax refund. While I'm at it, I think I'd like to get an iPod, (I don't want a smart phone) and I have some questions, if anyone is kind enough to help.

1. Reading this forum, I see that the software is getting old. If I bought a current iPod Touch, how much longer would it still be supported by iTunes and software updates? Basically, how long will I be able to use it until I it flat out won't work anymore?

2. How long until the battery just won't hold much of a charge anymore? Can they be replaced?

3. Are there any fees when it's used to access the internet where wifi is available? (Like how iPhones have a monthly fee for internet access.) 99% of the reason I want it, though, is simply to do what the first iPods did... listen to music/books while I go for a walk. The other features aren't necessary at all.

Thanks for your help.

don't get the ipod touch.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
iTunes still supports the 1st generation iPod that came out in 2001. I would not worry about them dropping support within iTunes. There is speculation that Apple won't drop support until 2017 on the A5 chips. Right now, there are very few things that DON'T work on the A5, but that is mostly games.

You can replace the battery on the iPod Touch, just be warned that the thing is very thin and fragile. I haven't had battery issues on my iOS devices this far, it will last you at least three years though.

No fees whatsoever.

If you just want it for audio, you might like the Nano more. I only have the iPod Touch because it comes in bigger storage options.

If you want to save money, I'd get it certified refurbished from the Apple website.

Jack Parker

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2015
@GordonGekko999 - Thanks. Unfortunately, I have to wait for the tax refund to arrive, which is usually the first week of February since I file the same day I receive my W2s. I'll remember to price check with WalMart, though.

@teknikal90 - Why not? What would you suggest?

@Jessica Lares - Thanks for all the information. Yes, it's mostly audio that I want it for. Depending on prices, I just want to get the most for my money. I was even looking at iPad Minis, which seem comparable to iPod Touches. But, then there's the fact that carrying around something bulky gets more difficult when it can't tuck in your shirt pocket. Do people use iPad Minis as iPods when they walk around?

I do like the bigger storage options, though. Most of what I listen to, actually, are sermons. They can be anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hrs long, so they take up more storage than a 4 minute song! That's why I was considering the iPod Touch. Still, I'm going to take your advice and explore the Nanos. Many thanks!

ETA: What are the best earbuds to use that won't disturb people around me? I hate when I can hear someone else's music and it sounds like a transistor radio leaking out of their ears.

speedyraf

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2007
Have you considered checking Apple's store for a refurb iPod Touch since a 5th gen 32GB sells for $199 right now? (stock changes frequently - I believe the 64GB iPod Touch is priced at $239 when available) It comes with a one-year warranty from Apple as well. Any refurb models of other devices I've bought operate very well indeed.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
The batteries are fine - I've not heard any reports of batteries dying prematurely. In fact, out of all of the iDevices, iPods tend to be the most reliable/durable.

You won't have to worry about iTunes not supporting it. Apple only dropped support for the original devices (2001) in June 2012 - and in all honesty, that was probably more to do with dropping Firewire than the iPod itself.

As for software updates, the iPod touches haven't fared well in the past. The third gen supported 3 major versions, while the 4th gen only supported 2. Given that the current one has already had 1 update, and seems to be lacking in the hardware update department, i'd say it's realistic to expect an update to iOS 9, but anything beyond that would be a bonus IMO.

There's no fee for using wifi (there's no fee for using wifi on the iPhone either).

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
@Jessica Lares - Thanks for all the information. Yes, it's mostly audio that I want it for. Depending on prices, I just want to get the most for my money. I was even looking at iPad Minis, which seem comparable to iPod Touches. But, then there's the fact that carrying around something bulky gets more difficult when it can't tuck in your shirt pocket. Do people use iPad Minis as iPods when they walk around?

I do like the bigger storage options, though. Most of what I listen to, actually, are sermons. They can be anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hrs long, so they take up more storage than a 4 minute song! That's why I was considering the iPod Touch. Still, I'm going to take your advice and explore the Nanos. Many thanks!

ETA: What are the best earbuds to use that won't disturb people around me? I hate when I can hear someone else's music and it sounds like a transistor radio leaking out of their ears.

Hahaha, I wouldn't use the iPad as an iPod. Back when iPods were THE thing, I saw someone using a portable DVD player as a CD player and I was like, what?

I understand you though. My audiobook library is not very large in terms of the amount of books I have, but the file sizes are huge.

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
the ipod touch hasn't been updated in a while, and mostly children are getting iphones, get the ipad mini

Ray Brady

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2011
I'm still actively using an iPod Touch I bought in 2009. It lives in my car and is primarily for playing podcasts while I'm driving. It can still play for about five hours before it needs recharging.

I also have a 5th generation that is my primary media player and tool for things like banking. It's also phenomenal for travel. It's running iOS 8 flawlessly, and it still gets about 10 hours on a charge if I turn off Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.

In short, I can't get an iPod to die. They're phenomenal little devices.

Reactions: sorcery

Jack Parker

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2015
@speedyraf - Yeah, I have the refurbished site bookmarked for when I'm ready to buy. The main reason I ask about "best prices" is that I've read some people's posts (regarding iMacs) where they got AppleCare free with purchase. That made me wonder if there are other places than the usual ones to look at buying Apple products.

@Brian Y - Yes, exactly. I remember when iPods first came out and a friend of mine got one. I also remember when they stopped supporting it and he couldn't use it anymore. That's exactly what concerned me. Glad to hear that's not likely now. Even if I get the current iPod Touch, and the software is no longer allowed to be upgraded, as long as I could continue using the features "as is", I would be fine with that. Like I said, my needs are very basic.

@Natzoo - I have no interest in getting any kind of smart phone. The monthly subscription fee for them is outrageous to me. That's why I'm considering the iPod Touch. It's basically a smart phone without the phone capabilities. I considered the Minis, but, for my needs, I decided they were a bit too big to carry around and use like an iPod since they don't fit comfortably in a pocket. Good suggestion, though.

@Jessica Lares - That's what I was wondering! I remember seeing people jogging with boom boxes and would just shake my head. I don't want to be one of "those" people!

I checked out the Nano, like you suggested. It definitely would meet my needs, and even allow me to watch the occasional video sermon. I'm seriously considering the Nano now, so thanks. The ONLY reason I'm still considering the iPod Touch is for the camera/video recording feature. It would be handy to make the quick YouTube video periodically, instead of waiting until I get home to use my iMac. Also, it would be nice to check iTunes for the latest Podcast when I'm eagerly awaiting the newest one. When it comes time to buy one, I'll have to price check the Nano and the iPod Touch and see which is the better bargain at the time.

I'm grateful for everyone's replies. Thank you!

----------

I'm still actively using an iPod Touch I bought in 2009. It lives in my car and is primarily for playing podcasts while I'm driving. It can still play for about five hours before it needs recharging.

I also have a 5th generation that is my primary media player and tool for things like banking. It's also phenomenal for travel. It's running iOS 8 flawlessly, and it still gets about 10 hours on a charge if I turn off Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.

In short, I can't get an iPod to die. They're phenomenal little devices.

This is really great to hear. You read so many complaints on this site, and I'm sure some of them are valid. Most people's needs are far more advanced than mine. But, some people are also spoiled, impatient and get upset over the smallest things, too. From my experience, complaints always outweigh the compliments because it's become more "normal" to complain.

Thanks for replying.

theapplefanboyj

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2014
I'm sure there are other phone companies that will give you a cheaper bill. In the US, $30 a month gives you 5gb of data and unlimited texts. Buy a second hand iPhone and its cheap! (Enough) though I've moved to android ever since.

Jack Parker

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2015
I'm sure there are other phone companies that will give you a cheaper bill. In the US, $30 a month gives you 5gb of data and unlimited texts. Buy a second hand iPhone and its cheap! (Enough) though I've moved to android ever since.

There probably are, but I hate phones, to be honest. I use them as rarely as possible. I still have the LG VX8300 from Verizon that I got when it first came out in 2006. Still works and looks brand new. No contract and a low monthly rate.

Actually, the only reason I switched to a cell phone at all is because they became cheaper than land lines. I was the first person I knew to get rid of their land line and just have a cell phone. Everyone thought that was risking and insane at the time!

I don't like being under contract. I like my freedom and all I require from a phone is to make and take calls. I don't even take it with me. It stays home, on the table, just like a land line would. I have no desire for people to be able to reach me anytime. To me, the phone is a convenience, not a necessity.

Reactions: sorcery

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
My 3rd gen iPod from 2004 still works. The battery isn't the best but it still plays music just fine.

theapplefanboyj

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2014
There probably are, but I hate phones, to be honest. I use them as rarely as possible. I still have the LG VX8300 from Verizon that I got when it first came out in 2006. Still works and looks brand new. No contract and a low monthly rate.

Actually, the only reason I switched to a cell phone at all is because they became cheaper than land lines. I was the first person I knew to get rid of their land line and just have a cell phone. Everyone thought that was risking and insane at the time!

I don't like being under contract. I like my freedom and all I require from a phone is to make and take calls. I don't even take it with me. It stays home, on the table, just like a land line would. I have no desire for people to be able to reach me anytime. To me, the phone is a convenience, not a necessity.

You are definitely in the minority, as far as I know. Maybe a nano would suit you, if you do not care bout the 'phone' features.

Jack Parker

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2015
You are definitely in the minority, as far as I know. Maybe a nano would suit you, if you do not care bout the 'phone' features.
I'm in the minority as far as I know, too! LOL I was raised very rural, during everything by hand. I just never saw the need to change. Not even a microwave. I still make my own bread and butter from scratch every week. I don't own a TV, radio, stereo, CDs, DVDs, video games, smart phone, or an i-Anything except my iMac.

Not only did I not use/like those things, but just like I knew in advance that cell phones would replace land lines, I also knew computers would replace all of these things, too. So, I have the ability if I want to use them. I just don't.

Yeah, I'm looking at the Nano, too. But, I won't be making any decisions until my tax refund comes in next month. Thanks for the input!

signofthetimes

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2014
connecticut
My iPod 4 Touch 64GB has lasted about 2 years, plus another year in a less-than-useful way. I can't download apps because it's too full and it can't run anything over iOS 6, it crashes constantly, and running things like Facebook are too much for it. After 2 years, the power button stopped working, and now the other button has stopped working. I can only turn it off by letting the battery die. I can only activate the screen by plugging it in. It's pretty useless at this point, and it's only 3 years old. Major ripoff. And the worst part is, I can't even replace it, because the latest models are over a year old, and it is such a waste of money to buy something that old knowing it's going to be obsolete in another year, judging by my 4 Touch.

Oh and it has ALWAYS sucked at its main job in life: playing music. It's possessed. I'll put it on shuffle, but it will fight me the entire time. I have 10,000 songs, yet it decides to stop shuffling and play only one band. It's really fond of the Beatles' Abbey Road. I've had 3 different USB-equipped stereos but they all have had a hard time reading the iPod. Sometimes it will work for awhile but then it will get ejected and say, "device not supported." Heck, even when I plug it into my computer to charge it, sometimes it doesn't connect. And I've been through about 10 iPod USB cords by now.

Apple is SO FRUSTRATING. Their products really are going down the toilet.

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
I have 3 iPod touches: 2nd gen, 4th gen, and 5th gen. All still work perfectly. You'd be happy with the 5th gen and it will last many years. Ignore the people trying to get you to buy a phone.

--Eric

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I have an iPod Touch of 64GB which I bought in 2010 and it still works perfectly. In fairness, it has never given me the slightest problem, and its battery is still excellent. The SSD is very stable and beautifully fast.

Personally, I would prefer if the memory was larger, or more capacious, as my iTunes music library is well over 80GB, but if an iPod Touch with a memory of 128Gb or 256 GB were to make an appearance, I would be in line, credit card in hand, to pounce and buy it.

In any case, I only ever use my iPods for music, although the iPod Touch has many other capabilities.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA

Thanks for your help.

1. It sort of doesn't matter if you don't care about app compatibility as the stock apps will still work and iTunes will still load up files to it. As was stated earlier, iTunes will sync to every iPod, iPhone, and iPad that has ever existed all the way back to the first iPod, provided the device is running the latest or last firmware that was released for it.

2. A long time. At worst, Apple will replace the battery for you for $100. There are third party batteries, though you are probably going to want the installation to be done professionally as iPod touches are not easy to get open.

3. Nope. If you want Internet on it, you'll use WiFi and it will cost you no more than it would cost to get anything else on WiFi.

4. Not really; it will be sluggish on the newest OS; you might find better mileage from an iPhone 5/5c/5s that isn't activated (and is thusly only getting connection from WiFi) by virtue of the faster processors. Though if you're not dealing with apps, then the need to do this isn't as important.

5. http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipod

There is speculation that Apple won't drop support until 2017 on the A5 chips. Right now, there are very few things that DON'T work on the A5, but that is mostly games.

Not sure where you're seeing this speculation as most signs seem to indicate that the A5 is losing support this next WWDC as Apple has needed to do extensive work just to get the 800MHz A5 (in the iPhone 4S and the fifth generation iPod touch) and the 1GHz A5 (in the iPad 2 and first generation iPad mini) to even function.

The music app in the iPod touch is less than responsive on my fifth generation iPod touches running 8.1.2. Will it function, yes? Is the experience enjoyable? Not really.

Jack Parker

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2015
@signofthetimes - (great username, by the way) - Thanks for letting me know about your experience. It's weird how some people have only had success and pure pleasure from Apple products, while others seem to constantly have issues. I wish I knew what to make of it.

@Eric5h5 - Thanks for relaying your experience. I'm DEFINITELY not interested in getting a iPhone, or any kind of smart phone. That's the reason why I was considering getting the iPod Touch in the first place. It had all the features EXCEPT being a phone. I rarely use my phone as it is and don't want to pay the exorbitant smart phone subscription fees when I'm not a big phone user. I have a 12 year old LG flip phone that still works perfectly and I only used 55 minutes of my 700 last month. The only reason I even have a cell phone is that it's cheaper than a land line.

@Chundles - Thanks for replying. It makes me think that I should buy an extra battery when I buy whichever iPod I do get. That way I'll have one by the time the initial battery gets too weak but find they don't sell the batteries for them anymore.

@Yebubbleman - Thanks for your patience and taking the time to answer each of my questions.

@ScepticalScribe - I appreciate your post. It influenced my decision because it got me to take a step back, take a deep breath, and think about what I needed.

Here's how I'm leaning now: I'm leaning more towards the Nano. I want something convenient in size and that plays music, audio books, and podcasts. I considered the iPod Touch because the camera and video capabilities would come in handy periodically, but I can always use my camera for that, so I might as well save the money. The Nano has all the features that I would use. My only disappointment is that you can't get a Nano with more than 16GB. If I could get a 64GB Nano, it would be my final decision.

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
It makes me think that I should buy an extra battery when I buy whichever iPod I do get. That way I'll have one by the time the initial battery gets too weak but find they don't sell the batteries for them anymore.

They don't really sell batteries for them as it is; you send it back and they send you a refurb with a new battery. While technically you could replace the battery yourself, it's a difficult thing to do since the device is sealed.

--Eric

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth

Thanks for your help.

1- I have an IpT5, and while it can update to ios8, I'm leaving it on ios7. I'll get ios8 on an IpT6 if it ever comes out and up to snuff.

That said, there was one free app I couldn't get because it required ios8. Otherwise, it should last you for at least a couple of years. In the near future, many apps will require a more recent version of ios, of which an older device will no longer be able to support.

2- they can be replaced, but you'll need good tools and good tutorial, or send it in to Apple and pay $100 for service and the new battery itself. I've always got a new IpT since the IpT3. My IpT5 has been used since mid-ish 2013, and still holds a charge well enough. However, I do use my Galaxy s4 for email, GPS, phone, and everything else. My IpT5 is mostly for gaming.

3- most folks pay for their own Wifi access, but other that that, it's free. Some apps may charge for internet services.

4- I wouldn't put ios8 on an IpT5. Try to get at least 32 GB, as if you need more space, capacity is NOT expandable. Also, use AppShopper.com to add apps to wishlist, and check the option to send you an email when a price drop occurs.

5- $240 for 64 GB IpT5. $200 for 32 GB. On Apple's page.. specials... Ipod.

repentix

macrumors regular
May 26, 2013
I own two ipods, a 5th Gen. 8GB Nano and a broken 5th Gen. Video. The Nano is nearing 5 years now and it hasnt missed a beat once in its entire lifetime, it has been dropped on everything, it hasn't even shattered the glass!

My advice: if you want to live easy get a 5th Gen. Nano, but with 16GB. They are simply the best ipods EVER produced, for your "smart needs" get a Windows phone like the lumia 520 and you will be happy;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.