How long do Macbook AIRs last?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by tech324, Jun 16, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502

Because they are so thin, do they last a long time? Does anyone have one of the original MBAs still? I am just curious.

2. macrumors G3

Like most laptops, they last until you drop them, spill liquid on them or sit on them. :eek:

There have been many threads on this, I suggest searching the forums.

3. macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

They are so thin because of their interior hardware and design. None of that affects how long the computer will last. Usually some other events make computers stop working :rolleyes:

4. macrumors 68020

Yes, they last a long time.

5. macrumors 6502

They last me long enough that I can sell them at a decent price. Thats usually 1.5 to 2 yrs. So far my MBA is running like a champ.

6. macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I believe this is a valid durability question. Not something eye roll worthy. :)rolleyes:)

7. halledise, Jun 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2011

macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    2 answers really:

Rev A was introduced in January 2008 - thus almost 3.5 years and counting.

until you get the sheets with it and decide to update - so, anywhere from 1 - 3 years :D

my friend's RevA was chugging along just fine, until last week when she sat on it :eek: - mind you she does have a rather large arse, so I'd say that was a factor

8. macrumors regular

At least 3 years, Apple is willing to back the claim up if your willing to hand over a little more money.

9. macrumors 603

mrkramer

Your experience can vary. Some rev As are still running fine, my Rev B decided to die when it was a little over 2 years old I have AppleCare so it will get fixed though. So basically it's possible that it could die early but most will last a long time.

10. macrumors 6502a

I did all those things with my previous (plastic) MacBook and it was fine for several years.

11. macrumors member

Macbook Airs have pixie dusts inside and will stop working once it runs out. Seriously, my Macbook 2nd gen I bought last 2008 is still in tip-top shape.

12. TuffLuffJimmy, Jun 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2011

macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

My opinion (as a non-owner) is the Air is probably more drop friendly than it's larger cousins just due to it's weight, but is less resistant to bending due to how thin it is. However, barring any major accidents, due to the SSD, light weight, and aluminum frame I think the MBA is a very durable machine. As soon as Apple can get rid of fans entirely from the design it will be one of the longest lasting machines since it will have no moving parts other than the keyboard, hinge and trackpad button.

13. iVeBeenDrinkin', Jun 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2011

macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Had rev a that last two years, no problems...sold it.

14. macrumors 6502a

I've been using MBAs since the original reva in 2008. I travel almost every week and they are my all day everyday machines. I had a revA, upgraded to a revC and then to. RevD. Both of my originals are still running fine for the folks I sold them to who also use them everyday. I upgraded each time for speed or capacity benefits, not for anything wrong with the machines. Such has been the case for all my macs over the years.

So I'd say they are on par with any other aluminum Macs or premium PCs. With AppleCare they are easily good for three years. After that if something goes wrong, you have to look at the repair cost to decide on replace or repair. The only issue I've ever had has been batteries wearing out but there is always a chance of something more serious.

15. macrumors 603

I have a G3 iBook that I purchased in 2003 which is still running just fine when plugged in (battery is a bit weak, keys are getting yellow). A friend is using a MacBook that I got over 5 years ago.

For an Apple product a bit older, my Mac 512Ke from circa 1985 still booted up a couple years back, but the clock battery was long dead, and some of the diskettes appeared to be going bad as well. So haven't taken it out of storage since.

So I don't expect my MBA 11 to die anytime soon, but ya never know... (knock on wood).

16. macrumors regular

They'll last until the battery craps out.

Every notebook battery decreases in health the longer you use it. And since the new MBA's have a battery you can't replace yourself, that's when you have to hand it over to apple.

Really wished there was some way to have removable batteries on these things, but that'd prolly take away from the form factor.