How long do you plan to keep your macbook pro or powerbook?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by shreyam, Jul 5, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I thought it would be interesting to see how long your going to keep your macbook pro?

I know there's a similar thread in the macbook air section, but it would be interesting to compare the various opinions from this post and the other one. Let me know your opinions.

Cheers

2. macrumors 6502a

thebassoonist

I hope that it will keep working for 8 more years!

*cross fingers*

3. macrumors 68020

I am going to keep this one until a major redesign is done or the macbook air gets a few more ports back.

I have a third generation MBP. I try to go three+ years per machine, but this one will probably be a bit quicker because my job will be buying my next one for me.

4. macrumors 68020

Nice. I've got a Macbook, and am aiming for 7 years, or 84 months. 7 down, 77 to go.

5. macrumors newbie

3-5 years

6. macrumors 6502

It has been a year, planning to keep it for another two years. So three years total. I only keep it until Applecare runs out.

7. macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I'm trying to squeeze out one more year out of my beloved 12" PB. It depends on what's out when I start looking as to whether I buy a new MB or a MBP.

8. macrumors 68040

Neil321

Till Nehalem is released then it's goodbye MBP hello Mac Pro

9. macrumors 65816

gusious

Also here:3-5 years i think will be fine!:)

10. macrumors 65816

I just got mine today (love it!) and will keep it for probably three years or so. Possibly longer. I may get additional Macs, but won't replace this anytime soon.

11. macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

Until AppleCare runs out or until Blu-Ray becomes standard in  machines... whichever of the two comes first

12. macrumors 603

hey didnt I start this thread asking this exact same question just a couple weeks ago?!? I guess all mac people think alike!

I'm going to keep my mbp until it dies.

13. thread starter macrumors newbie

just curious, but if a macbook air update came out before a macbook pro update(I know it sounds unlikely, but who knows what stevie is cooking up), wuld you trade in your current macbook pro if the macbook air had more ports, larger storage, more ram, etc.?

14. Moderator emeritus

sushi

The norm is usually until they die or I need a feature only available on new hardware.

My desktop Mac is 6 plus years old. My old laptop is 4.5 years and I only upgraded to a MBP because I needed to run Windows in addition to the Mac OS.

15. macrumors member

rlm22b

I plan to keep it forever, it'll probably be my main machine, though, for 3 to 4 years.

16. macrumors member

I used my old crappy Dell for 5-6 years, that Dell had a video card, power supply, monitor, and ethernet port die on me.
    I plan on using my MBP for at least 4 years or until I get out of college, whereupon if my financial situation permits I will buy a new computer, probably a Mac desktop.

17. macrumors member

Hoping it will last until at least the end of my degree (3.5 more years).

It's likely that i'll keep it until it dies, or can't keep up with my needs.

18. thread starter macrumors newbie

That's interesting, from all of your opinions so far, I can assume that most of you love your macbook pro's for a long time. That's good to see. I think apple would be really pleased having such an awesome customer base.;)

19. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I usually keep a computer until the point where I start getting frustrated with its lack of performance, then replace it before I'm tempted to throw it through a window. That used to be, on average, about once ever year-to-18-months, when I was buying Dell notebooks. In recent years, that has extended to between 2 and 3 years, since I'm not doing as much heavy-duty database design and administration work. I expect I'll keep this MBP for 3 years or so, but will probably buy another to add to it within the next year.

20. macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Wow, I'm a little surprised by the lack of must-have-it gearheads here.

I'll be totally honest and say 3 to 6 months, usually. That's the cycle I've been on for the past 2 years (have had 9; and at least one from every refresh).

In all, it has cost me almost nothing to constantly upgrade. I buy with the education discount brand new sell and sell at a loss of around $100 all things considered. I'm a very heavy user and no current macbook pro is fast enough for me so I eagerly await the next model.

21. macrumors 65816

cwedl

I normally keep my Macs for about 3 years, unfortunately I normally replace them every 2 -3 years but i have to make my macbook pro last after buying a house etc I have to try and be more sensible with money.

22. macrumors regular

I'll be keeping mine for at least 3 years since I invested in applecare for it.

I think though that i'll have it for a lot longer than that though. Computers don't seem to be making the leaps and bounds that they were ten years ago and i'm sure that it will remain more than capable for many years to come.

23. macrumors member

i've been rockin' my 12" powerbook since 04' its still running strong! I think it will be time to get a mbp either next year or next update. which ever comes first. :)

24. macrumors member

I plan to keep it 4 years through college then probably hand it down to my mom to introduce her to the wonderful world of mac.

25. macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Currently it's about 12mths old. Still working like it's brand new!
    Cosmetically it's perfect, kept every scratch of the case by using some BodyFilm and a Wrist Matt, only place showing signs of wear is the keyboard.

However, i'm planning on upgrading to the hi-res 17" MBP in the next twelve months - the lovely 15" display is getting a little cramped when it comes to using serious applications...