How long do you think your MBA will last?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Bakari45, Jan 19, 2011.

1. macrumors regular

I was just wondering how long do you think the current models of MBAs will last before they start having problems?

1-3 yrs?
    4-6 yrs?
    10 yrs?

I hope to keep mine at five years, but I‘d probably consider upgrading in a year or two and passing the current one down to one of my kids if they promised to take care of it.

2. macrumors regular

Probably less than a year before I sell it.

I'm quite a gadget freak, so like to have the top models.

3. macrumors member

MultiBat

I haven't bought it yet, but when I get it I hope it will last more than 3 years.

I have never owned a mac, but based what I have heard of apple build quality I think it physically should last at least 5 years (if taken care of).

Power wise (processor, RAM, SSD, screen resolution etc) it should last me at least 3 years, but hopefully 5 years.
    I say this, because I will use it for simple tasks like writing, web, photo & music management. Occationally I will use handbrake and probably edit a video or two.
    User with more needs (gaming, more serious photo & video editing) will have a shorter life span in my opinion.

So what I think it boils down to is whether I will want (not need) a new laptop after 3 years... :p

4. Moderator emeritus

Hellhammer

I'm expecting/hoping 3-5 years. I find it relatively hard to predict because even 3 years is a very long time and one's usage may dramatically change during that period.

5. macrumors 6502

2 years before resale.

I will skip the next generation, but will get the one after that. I would prefer a higher res by then, 1600*900, 1920*1200 preferably. Hopefully also 512GB SSD and 8gb ram option.

6. macrumors member

It depends if I still want a marriage or not.. MBA 13" was a XMAS present, it's going to last a few years so I've been told:D...possibly 5. When I wanted a new phone, I "accidentally" stepped on it when I got out of bed. This is a little drastic if I want a new computer.. :eek:

In reality:
    Its for travelling with on the road with work...At the moment they provide me a lump of a machine or a crap netbook that doesn't fit all my needs...Once this current MBA doesn't fullfil those requirements anymore then I will get a new one....or I keep working on them to buy me an appropriate machine to travel with like.....MBA Version ??? when the time is suitable (fat chance)

7. macrumors regular

shootingstar64

as for this time, i went the complete other route and opted for a "base" model mba 11",... i will definately upgrade to the upcoming or next generation "ultimate".

not that the "base" isn't capable for my needs, but this is my only workstation for the time being and i do want something with a little more spark to it :D

well, and i think upcoming osx releases and other software will dictate the pace of adjusting the hardware

8. macrumors newbie

mcdonaldtosh

Until your guarantee expires and Apple Store tells you to buy a new one.

9. macrumors regular

I bought the 13.3 2.13/4GB and I'm hoping this machine lasts me about 3 years as my main computer. I used an original 1.83GHz MBP for 4.5 years.

10. thread starter macrumors regular

I bought the base model as well, for the same reason. The MBA is not my main computer, and unless I make heavy use of it, I probably won’t upgrade for a while unless Apple adds some productivity updates that inspire me to upgrade. Taking care of and maintaining my Air for five years though will be a challenge simply because my kids will eventually be getting their hands on it.

11. macrumors 6502a

I would upgrade to a new computer after 3-4 years anyways. Out with the old, in with the new.

If you saved one dollar a day once you make your purchase, after 3 years you can buy a new 11" MBA:D.

12. macrumors newbie

There was a time when I kept all my macs 3 years replacing laptop and desktop on alternating 18month cycles.

When I bought an original MacBook (black) after applecare ran out I was still using it and it was still doing everything I needed it to. On a whim I hacked a Dell Mini 9 and was sold on the small form factor, so I used that for the last year.

In short my MBA is the first Mac notebook I'm bought in almost 5 years. Unless something happens to change the OS and the processor won't handle it, or the way we work radically changes I could see keeping this for 4-5 years easy. My wife is still using the Black MacBook and loves it.

10 or more years ago Mac advancements happened so fast that 3 year-old hardware was almost worthless. Since OSX, not so much.

So I think the MBA is a Keeper, as long as I can hide it from my 16 year-old daughter.

Tom

13. macrumors regular

Bought mine in July 2009, going for 2 years, my peeve is if I get a new one the processor is the same C2D 2.3 GHz

14. macrumors 604

wordoflife

I think the SSD would start to go before the rest of the computer.

15. macrumors 6502

Ill keep it for years probably. I buy a new computer every 3 years or so, but i usually keep the older ones or give them to family. Nothing worth buying a whole new macbook air is coming out anytime soon.

16. macrumors regular

Mine will last for thirty-seven years, two months, three weeks, five days, eleven hours, twenty-two minutes, and nine seconds.

17. macrumors G4

1,172,488,929 seconds, to be precise.

Is that something related to 32 or 64 bits, or just a completely made-up number (or something else, like your age when you posted)?

18. macrumors 6502a

It'll do me perfect until Apple releases a quad core MBP with no optical drive, and no option for one internal whatsoever.

19. macrumors 603

The cat destroyed my first iBook when it was only a few months old, due to it not having a magsafe power connector. But the replacement iBook G3, now over 7 years old, is still running strong, with less battery life, but useful for getting data off of a few of my ancient Mac Classic apps. The Mac 512Ke still booted when it was over 20 years old, but I haven't tried lately.

Last week, the cat tried to destroy my new MBA 11, but all he got was the end of a magsafe cable. Thank you Apple.

20. macrumors 65816

MultiFinder17

My Air has been going strong for a bit over a year now, and I expect to get at least another one, hopefully two out of it. The new OWC SSD that's coming for it later this week should help a bit :D

21. 2IS
    macrumors 68030

I plan on running my MBA 13 to the ground before I upgrade. I use this machine a lot, but my usage isn't very demanding. I leave all the heavy lifting to my desktop PC so I really shouldn't need an upgrade anytime soon. Realistically, i'll probably keep this thing around until the battery no longer holds a long enough charge.

22. macrumors regular

23. macrumors regular

Very true. There's been slight increases in performance/clock speed since Pentium 4. RAM has gone up about 4X. HDD is a lot bigger, and is going to SSD. But really, it's nothing dramatic. More and more cores, but not everyone cares.

There was a time when 5 year old hardware was only good as a paperweight. Now the MBA is slower than 5 year old hardware (in all respects except HDD) and it's still seen as snappy.

24. 2IS
    macrumors 68030

That's certainly an option. However I typically take good care of my laptop batteries so they tend to last a while, by the time it goes bad i'll probably be ready for a new laptop anyway. If however it's still meeting my needs and I can get a new pack for around $100 or less, I may do just that.

25. macrumors regular

Here is the thing for me. I have a 2009 13" macbook pro. I'm a high school student who only needs the internet, youtube, facebook, runescape, word processing, and minimal video editing. This laptop is perfect for me, and I plan to use it until it doesn't work anymore. How ever long that is it should be fine. 2.53 ghz core 2 duo is perfect for my needs. What else could I possibly need? I dont need a i7 8gb of ram or the newest video card.