How long do your Macs last?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by ravenvii, Jul 5, 2004.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

How long do your Macs last between purchases? I don't mean how long it lasted you from start to death/sale, I meant from when you bought it, and when you bought the next machine.

2. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

your question is easy to answer, but is hard for a lot of people to swallow. computers will last as long as you can put up with them and maintain them. most people buy a new computer because they get to slow to run the lastest programs etc. most business/school rotate computers every 3 years. this seems to work to be the most cost effective way. some people do a 2 year cycle, but buy slower computer. i.e. you order 20 imacs instead of 20 pwoermacs then you get a new one in two years. so it really depends on your budget and your needs. if all you do is surf and email, you don't need the lastest a greastest computer to that. however, if you are a gamer and want the play the last games, you have to have to have a reasonable fast computer. maintence and software availblity for a particular OS is also a factor.

3. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I'm about to acquire an iMac that was introduced in 1999. Six years later, it's a give-away, but it's still running (although its screen only shows blacks, whites, and in betweens).

edit: I didn't even read your post. I couldn't tell you how long between purchases, as this is my first mac. I'm betting 3 years for this puppy, though.

4. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

Actually this thread is inteded to be a roll call of sorts of how long people usually go between purchases, that's all, I'm not looking for answers for myself.

As for me, I usually go 1-2 years :)

5. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

I had my PowerBook G3 Lombard for 4 years. I used it all through high school :). It still works now, but I really needed a performance boost going into college. I probably won't be able to wait four years to get another new computer, but of course that all depends on my funds at the time. :rolleyes:

6. chv400 macrumors 6502

What ever the time period was between the 8500 and B&W
    I still have the B&W as my main comp and wont be getting a new one for a while. A 600mhz G4, 640 RAm and 130 gigs of storage meet my needs pretty well everyuthing except for the gaming needs

7. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

I prefer to have a desktop and a laptop (yes, a big luxury.)

So, I stagger the purchases about 1.5-2 years apart. That way, every 1.5-2 years, I get a computer with the latest and greatest technology. According to my schedule, I am *due* for a new Powermac now! (bought PB 18 months ago) I think I'll buy in 6-7 months with the next PM update. That will quench my thirst for super power; then in 18-24 more months, I'll be wowed by my RevC G5 Powerbook! :D

8. jimjiminyjim macrumors 6502

As you may be able to guess from my signature - about 5 years between computers. My parents now use the 580 in the barn, my iMac is my work computer, and my eMac is my work computer. All are still in use.

9. jimjiminyjim macrumors 6502

Although I sure would like to get a portable and stagger new purchases a little more (as per carletonmusic's post).

10. j_appel macrumors member

I used to get a new computer every 4 years or so, but that was when I was using PCs. Now that I have a Mac, I'll probably go a little longer than 4 years. My iMac just turned three a couple months ago, and it still seems to be working as fast as it did brand new. I'll keep it for at least another 2-3 years. I also have an iBook G4. It'll be around for at least another 2-3 years as well. :)

11. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

At home we're running a Cube and a Sawtooth, which are 4 and 5 years old respectively. They both still run great. However, my MDD is my main computer and I do a lot of work on that (mainly video & DVD authoring) that would be painful on either of the others. So if I had to rely on the Cube I'd probably be planning for a new PowerMac about now. So mark me down in the 4-5 year category I guess.

If you're not doing processor intensive tasks you can get a lot more useful life out of a Mac. I also have a G3 AIO (1998) and PowerMac 7600 (1996) which both make fine web/email/word processing computers. The 7600 is a little long in the tooth because of the ancient connections--and the power is a bit lacking. The G3 takes a lot of RAM, can take Firewire and USB PCI cards, and runs OS X up to 10.2.8. It's still a very functional machine.

12. JohnsonMac macrumors newbie

Normally I buy a fairly 'top of the line' machine every five years, then don't spend any money on it for the next five years. The money I used to spend upgrading them all the time, I now see, can be better spent on a new machine.

13. jywv8 macrumors 6502

3 year

I typically go about 3 years in between purchases.

14. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Powermac 6100 lasted me for 6 years then it was struck by lighting.

Powermac G4 400 Mhz 4 years and running

Powerbook G4 1 Ghz 4 years. Then I plan to buy Powerbook G5 or Powermac G6 for college. Old powerbook G4 will be a backup.

15. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i have a usual 4 year cycle between upgrades, but by no means have i had a mac die on me, all the macs i have ever used are still running to this day.

16. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I'm hoping mine will last 4 years. I'll probably get a new Powerbook after college. So far it's been over a year and nothing wrong.

17. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I generally go five years between Macs. In my opinion, Macs last much longer than Wintel PC's. I mean this in respect to both hardware and useablility. I have a six year old iMac I have loaded full of RAM, and it's running very smoothly. My mom uses it daily. Sometimes when I use it, I'm amazed at how fast and well it runs. Also, this machine has been on constantly for about three years now, still no problems.

I've owned five Macs from 1994 to present, and only one has given me a hardware problem. My old Power Mac 7100 (~1995) has a dead hard drive, but it lasted quite a while.

In my opinion, a Wintel PC will generally last about three to four years before either something dies, or it just can't handle current software. A Mac can last a good five to six years, perhaps even longer, without problems.

18. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

I had my 8500 for 8 years before upgrading to a G5, and before that I had a LC III for two years, but that doesn't really count because I was just 4. My 8500 actually did die, so sad to say. It is no longer with us.

So, 8 years.
    –Chase

19. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

Well to counter point the macs last longer than Windows based computers (sorry I perfter AMD over intel). I might like our last computer was about 5 years old when we upgraded 99-2000. The curret computer is over 4 years old and still has a few years left in her. Yeah it did need a few upgrades and still needs a few. The upgrades have been going up to XP. Upgrading the ram. The upgrades it currently needs. another boost of ram to get it up to 512 megs and another Hard drive since it 40 gig is getting quite full and we are worried that it may fail since it is about 5 years old. A hard drive life span is 4-5 years accross the board. I dont care what you say mac hard drive are the same hard drive that windows uses and go though the same things. That and out computer has been working it hard drive pretty hard the past few years.
    My grandparents computer is I think coming up on 7-8 years old and still running strong. (slow as hell but still running really well). Just if you go bottom of the line the lifespan is weaker and if you start doing some hi end stuff you shorten it even more.

If there is only thing about nice about PC is it a lot easier to lenghten there lifespan that is it on macs since software is Just starting to catch up to our home computer to where there is some stuff it can not run (1ghz amd chip). Processor can be used a lot longer than the other hardware (graphic card hard drive and ram) that can be upgraded over time

20. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

My Macs

1st Mac: Mac II, 1987 (1st color Mac) (still works) :)
    2nd Mac: Power Mac 6100/60, 1994 (1st PowerPC based Mac) (HD failed) :(
    3rd Mac: Power Mac G3 233 Beige Desktop, 1998 (1st G3 Mac) (current Mac) :rolleyes:

So, in the past 17 years, I have had 3 Macs. That's an average of almost 6 years each! (by the time I finally get a G5, it probably will be...)

21. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

My main computer about every 4 years. However, I have some Macs that are about 8 years old + are still in daily use.

22. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

my three apples are 2.5 years of age on average, but i have bought an apple every 18 months. go figure ;)

23. dobbin macrumors 6502a

dobbin

I bought a Performa 6200CDTV at Christmas 1995 and that saw me through University and for a couple of years after that (5 years in total).

I then had a lapse of sanity and bought a Tiny PC (Athlon 1GHz) in January 2001 but it was hopeless so I returned it for a full refund (that only lasted 3 months!).

I bought my Cube in April 2001 and that is still going strong after 3 years - I have added an external 80Gb drive and also an external CDRW.

I am hoping to buy a Powerbook in about 6 months to replace it as I’d sometimes like to be able to take my photo collection around with me. If Apple made some sort of tablet or photo iPod (?) then I would probably buy that and stick with the cube for a few more years. But as that is unlikely, I’ll probably switch to a 12” Powerbook when the cube is 3 1/2 years old.

24. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

I'm still on my first macs :D My MDD is 16 months old and my G3 ibook 20 months. The ibook does feel pretty sluggish but the MDD still feels pretty zippy. Although I lust after a 17" powerbook I can't really justify buying a new mac until at least the end of next year. Maybe a revB G5 powerbook with Tiger on it ;)

25. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

tell me about it :)

i now have a 1.25GHz 15-incher so i will have to wait for the G5 powerbook to reach 2.5GHz before i can justify the purchase. i mean... double the clock frequency and you'll notice a difference, but jump from 1.25 to 1.5 and you wonder where the money went.

revA will most definetely not be that fast (2.5G) but i somehow fear that the revB will not be either. revC should, however. oh well - if the revB reaches 2.0 i might have to buy it anyway. protoos eats cpu for breakfast ;)