Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

plunar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
everytime i try to quit aperture it says it's "processing previews" and ask if i want to quite or continue. as far as i can tell, it ALWAYS processing previews, and i believe this is indicated by a spinning progress circle on the left of the control bar.

I've sat here and literally let run on end and it seems to never finishing processing previews. what gives?

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
everytime i try to quit aperture it says it's "processing previews" and ask if i want to quite or continue. as far as i can tell, it ALWAYS processing previews, and i believe this is indicated by a spinning progress circle on the left of the control bar.

I've sat here and literally let run on end and it seems to never finishing processing previews. what gives?

This happens whenever you load in new photos. (I actually don't like this feature).

If it's the first time that you have uploaded a bunch of photos, or just upgraded to the version of Aperture that supports this -- you should just leave the machine on overnight (with the screen off) to let it run it's course. :eek:

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
Also, the time it takes is very much dependent on the computer you're using (it's much quicker with multiple processors).

I tried importing somewhere around 175 photos into the Aperture demo on my 1.5GHz G4 PowerBook and it took over an hour to process. Doing the same exact thing on a 2.66GHz Quad Mac Pro at my job took 10-15 minutes.

snap58

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2006
somewhere in kansas

You can turn this off, someplace in preferences there is a check box. I think the previews are used for sharing with other programs like iPhoto. A few hundred RAW files will bring any machine to it's knees for an extended time so if don't need to share with other programs just turn it off.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Nope, but iLife, iWork, iPhone, and other things on the computer won't have previews.

It's really only a hassle the first time you load up your library, or when you upload a ton of new images. If you are on a laptop, it might be a bit longer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.