How long does Disk Warrior take to run?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by alec, Aug 27, 2008.

1. macrumors regular

Hi all, I am having problems with the HD on my MacBook, so I put it in target disk mode and began rebuilding with Disk Warrior. I was wondering, how long dose it typically take to run Disk Warrior? It took an hour + on "Step 5: Locating Directory Data" before I cancelled out. Is this typical? It's a 160 GB HD. Thanks!

-Alec

2. macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Well there is no hard a fast rule about this phase of DW operation, but when I have light directory damage and run it on a 500Gb for example, that phase takes I would say between 10 and 15 seconds.

Since it is taking so long in that particular phase it would indicate to me that there may be more damage than suspected on the drive unfortunately. There IS always the chance that DW just hung, but I would not try re-running until you are able to try to backup data from the drive to another drive. Though DW should not overwrite anything in this phase, if the drive is failing physically the continuous seeking that DW is asking it to do can further the damage to it.

3. thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! I was running Disk Warrior from a rather old iBook as well, and it said during the task "Slowed by Lack of Memory" (not verbatim but paraphrased).

4. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Yup, it can take hours if you've got problems with the drive. Don't sit and watch it do its thing -- it'll make you crazy. Run it before you go to sleep at night, or something.