How long does it normally take you to install osx

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Ecodisk, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Ecodisk macrumors member

Ecodisk

2. maya macrumors 68040

maya

It depends on several factors, such as:

1. custom or default install.
    2. HDD speed.
    3. upgrade or fresh install.
    4. Optical drive speed. :)

rev B, iMac G5 20" 2.0GHz and very happy with it. :D

3. aquajet macrumors 68020

When I installed Tiger on my iMac (in my sig, purchased used...included 10.3 but I wiped the drive and did a fresh install) I think it took 10-15 mins, but that was without any languages other than English and Spanish.

Edit: specs of my iMac include:

1Ghz G4
    768 RAM
    80gb 7200rpm hard drive
    32x CD-RW

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Generally about half an hour for me. That's including installing all my other software, configuring my preferences, and putting my files back on though. :)

5. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I did an upgrade install of Tiger yesterday on my Power Mac, and it only took about 15 minutes or so. When I installed Tiger on my Power Book using a fresh install, it seems like it took around 30 minutes, but I can't remember for sure.

As an aside, people around here seem to have had trouble with upgrade installs, but the one I did yesterday worked just fine. I had some issues with the pro apps, but those were things that were very predictable based on others' experience and a reinstall of the production suite fixed them.

6. Ecodisk thread starter macrumors member

Ecodisk

It just took me 3 hours to do a fresh default install of osx 10.3 on my Powermac G3 :eek:

7. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

i installed tiger on my G5 a week after it came out, and it took about a hour to upgrade from panther.I dont know why it was so slow, i just told it to upgrade and leave every thing else alone.

Then about another 10-15 minutes for spotlight to index everything. I was getting a little worried as to why the all powerfull G5 was running slower than my old windows 98 system, only to find out that by clicking on the spotlight button that it was indexing files, millions of them :eek:

8. haiggy macrumors 65816

As mentioned it depends on some factors. I have done it once to do a fresh install of Panther and once to Tiger. Both didn't take very long on the installations themselves but getting my settings changed and putting all my backed up data on it took a few hours.