how long does it take to install tiger

Discussion in 'macOS' started by abc123, Aug 25, 2005.

1. abc123 macrumors 6502

i'm picking up my powerbook from repairs tomorrow and i'm wondering if i will have time to do an install before i go home in the evening.

i had the hard drive replaced so i'll be doing a clean install with no extras except japanese language stuff and developer tools.

how long should i leave to complete that?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Half an hour, an hour at the most. And then about a week to customise it to just how you like it. :p

3. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Don't take this as Gospel(it depends on what CPU you have) but 30 or 40 mins should cover it.

4. abc123 thread starter macrumors 6502

probably more like three months since i have all my old stuff backed up over about 30 disks.

i think it is pretty poor of apple not to transfer all my data over for free when the hard drive failed under warranty, i have $0 to my name right now so can't afford to have it done (and i object to having to pay for it).

5. witness macrumors 6502

OS X is surprisingly quick to install in comparison with other operating systems, Windows takes about twice as long and has less stuff.

It took me about 20 minutes for the os, 15 for dev tools, then a couple of hours for my apps then the next few weeks to customize it.

6. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

I was amazed how quickly it was as well!
    I had planned on it taking forever (from my Windows experiences... even their updates!)

30-40 mins and it will be on there.

7. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

It's your responsibility to ensure you have adequate back-ups - not Apple's. Besides the hard drive has failed. Getting data off of a failed hard drive can be expensive and problematic.

8. lopresmb macrumors 6502

sorry about the hard drive, but depending what kind of computer you have, it shouldn't take more than 30 - an hour to get tiger up and purring

P.S. Buy yourself a backup Hard Drive with a copy of retrospect express, which will allow you to back all your junk up with relatively little work, and then if something happens again, the process will be a breeze.

9. abc123 thread starter macrumors 6502

i do have back ups of all my stuff, however they are not all in the one location and it is going to take some time for me to sort though it all. as mentioned previously, hardly have a cent to my name right now, certainly not enough to purchase an external disk to back things up to.

my argument is that since the HD was failing from the day that i bought it and that apple refused to acknowledge the problem until the computer became completely unusable, it is their fault my data is no longer on that machine and they should not charge me extra to put it back on.

i've also had some other issues with apple in the last two months, namely i have only had my powerbook for one week in that time frame because of various problems, so you can imagine that i am already a disgruntled customer and i have no doubts that is affecting my feelings about the whole data loss situations.

thanks to everyone that answered my questions though, you've all been really helpful :)