how long does it take to load Panther

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by fjs08, Oct 28, 2003.

1. fjs08 macrumors 65816

How long does it take to load Panther. I have a 15" Ti-Book. I have installed all of the OSX updates, so I have the most recent setup.

Thanks,

Frank

2. Bear macrumors G3

Re: how long does it take to load Panther

You don't say what speed TiBook you have, but figure around an hour. Maybe more if you have an early TiBook.

3. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

yeah, it's not too long considering. it's only an hour. but you should still have the power adapter connected if you're thinking of installing on the road...

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I did a clean install on my DP1GHz Quicksilver last night and it only took about 20-30mins (inc. X11, de-selected all the unwanted language packs, unwanted printer drivers etc).

5. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

thanks for the replies. I just bought it this past Jul '03, so it is one of the latest. I'm not even sure of the speed, but it seems very fast.

I would do it at home with the power on. I wouldn't attempt it on battery.

Thanks.

Frank

6. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

Took me a little over an hour on my 600MHz iBook. The installer tries to give you an idea how long it's going to take (percent complete, time remaining, etc) but each time the indication comes up its only for that _portion_ of the install. Even then, the installation rate varies, so the estimate fluctuates a lot.

7. idevin macrumors newbie

wow, you guys have long installs. Mine only took about 10-15 mins to install, another 3 hours to get all applications, users, etc. installed. ( I did a complete clean install).

This is on a MDD 867 DP w 768MB RAM

8. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Do I need to reinstall all my apps???? Like Microsoft Office????

Frank

9. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

Only if You update exsisting Sys Software

10. Panther Blue macrumors regular

I have a 15" iMac G4/800, and I timed it ten times. On average, it took about 21 seconds between the time I hit the power button and the time the login window came up.

Edit; I'm sorry, your question had two possible meanings. It took about an hour or so to happen here.

11. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Got it loaded on in an hour. I used 2/3 disks that came with it. What's in Disk 3 that I wasn't asked for, and what is the XTools disk???
    This is pretty cool. Everything works well too!!! Expose' is very neat.

Frank

12. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

The third CD is for the extra software if you select it from the custom installation (such as X11, additional print drivers, languages, etc) and XCode is the Developer disc. As far as installing, I didn't really pay attention but it was probably around 25-30 minutes tops to go from inserting disc one to playing around in the Finder.

13. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

This is all pretty neat. One thing I find is that my anxiety level is practically zero when dealing with Apple stuff, while I needed a Zantac when I used to do this with Windows updates<g>.

One ?? though. In OSX, Jaguar, I had a folder on the desktop with all my alias's. I tried to move it to the Finder Sidebar, I think it is called, but all it did was make a copy there. I tried to Trash the Desktop Alias folder and open up files using the copy I put in the Sidebar. However, it told me that the alias was in the trash, and I'd have to take it out to use it. Short of remaking a new Alias folder in Sidebar, is there a way to get the copy in Sidebar to run and still eliminate the folder on the Desktop. I have this think about cluttered Desktops<g>.
    Frank

14. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I have a folder in my Home folder that I keep all my sidebar folders and random things I've made, backed up, or have done. I labeled it "Creations" and it sits nice and tiddy in there to keep my system directory nice and slim.

15. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

30 min for an Archive and Install on my 1ghz TiBook

16. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

if I do just a strict upgrade.. will I loose my mail, keychain passwords, or safari bookmarks?

- Doc

17. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Mail is kept on the server if you use .Mac, I found that out and think that is awesome since it is always safe. As far as bookmarks, address book, iCal, etc, all you need to do is do one quick iSync and it is all automatically carried over to your new system. I was beyond happy to see it in a matter of a few seconds place all my iCal appointments back, my address book, and all of my bookmarks as if I had always been on Panther.

18. aethier macrumors 6502a

aethier

1.25 ALpb, about 13 minutes with the languages deselcted. also the iapps that i new i had all the latest versions already. (did and archive install)

aethier

19. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

This am, first one after installing Panther, I find a ton of junk mail in my inbox. Do we have to "retrain" Mail to learn what's junk all over. I did go to Mail/Preferences/Junk, and my filter is on for junk. Just curious as to others experiences with this.
    Thanks.
    Frank

20. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I've never gotten junk, anyway, so I don't even use the filter. That's the nice thing about only giving your .Mac name to friends, Apple, and the few things I subscribe to. Much nicer than AOL and their 15 "Penis enlargement" or "XXX girls!!!" emails an hour.

21. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

It was REALLY quick on my DP 1.25 G4, and noticably slower on my 15" PB 1.25. I think it has to do with the optical drive...the notebook ones aren't as fast as the desktop ones I'd imagine.

22. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Yeah, the Superdrive on the PowerBooks are only about half the speed of the PowerMacs.

23. MattB macrumors member

Also, notebook hard drives are slower than desktop models. 4200 RPMs vs. 7200 RPMs.

24. billyboy macrumors 65816

billyboy

It´s quick to install too if you disconnect external drives.