How long does it take to restore to iOS 4? - iPhone 3GS

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jb7, Jun 26, 2010.

1. jb7
    macrumors member

Jun 26, 2010
    I had a jailbroken 3gs 3.1.2 but am restoring to the normal 4.0 (i.e downloaded from itunes) - however I seem to be having problems

Itunes is stuck on the "restoring iphone software" screen - the green bar progresses most of the way, but stops when it gets about 95% of the way there. (Although the white progress indicator in the green bar is still going back and forward... just that the green bar has stopped)

My iphone is on the apple logo screen, with a bar underneath. The bar has gone up about 60% of the way.

Trouble is it seems both my iphone and itunes have been stuck in this state for over an hour... is this normal? Or should the restore be done by now?

2. macrumors newbie

Oct 1, 2008
    I have EXACTLY the same problem!

Same specs, everything. Every detail is the same, and it won't finish the restore. It's been about 40 minutes and I don't know whether to disconnect it or not!
  3. jb7
    thread starter macrumors member

Jun 26, 2010
    I read somewhere that it may be a firmware problem, and so you should delete all your firmwares in itunes, and restore again - i.e, itunes will download the firmware again when you click restore

I tried this but unfortunately the phone and itunes are stuck in the exact same place (have left it for an hour so far). This might work for you, but not sure as it didn't work for me :confused:

hopefully somebody will know the answer!
  4. macrumors newbie

Oct 1, 2008
    Just read something that says: "Make sure to give yourself ample time, since it may take you up to 3 hours." UGH. WTF?!?

Here's the link:

I don't know if this is right or not. I've read some people saying NEVER to disconnect during a restore or there could be horrible consequences, and some people saying you SHOULD disconnect and try it again. I haven't disconnected yet, and it's been about 3 hours so far. Again - URGH. I hope someone has an answer!
  5. macrumors 6502

Jan 30, 2006
    Southington, CT
    I'm having this exact same problem. Restoring 3.1.2 3GS to 4.0.1 with iTunes 10. Stuck 95% in iTunes, about 60% on the phone screen progress bar. Not sure if I should unplug it or not. Anyone come up with the best solution?