How long does your computer take to startup?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jason2811, Aug 2, 2006.

1. jason2811 macrumors 6502a

How long?

I'm talking from the second you hit enter after you type in your password until ALL of your startup programs are fully loaded? I think mine takes about 24-30 seconds with 2GB RAM on a MacBook with iTunes, Firefox (****ing bounces forever), TextEdit, Preview, Adium, Synergy at startup. Is that slow or good? Thanks.
    Everyone post their startup times.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

The amount of RAM you have, has no effect on start up time. RAM's benefits only come into play once you have repeated a process or task. For example, if you open an app for the first time after a boot up, it must load directly from the hard drive (which is very slow). The next time you open, it should still be loaded in the RAM (assuming you have enough) which is why it'll load quickly. :)

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

From the chime to the desktop (I don't have anything set to open on start-up) takes around 1 minute on my iBook.

4. GodBless macrumors 65816

GodBless

You should try the MenuCalendarClock iCal shareware application -- then you might want a program to launch at log in.

5. iTwitch macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

My iBook takes 43 seconds to get to the password prompt and another 43 seconds to get to the full desktop once I enter the password.

When I had auto login enabled and less start items it took 70 seconds total.

6. bowens macrumors 6502a

bowens

I have mine set to auto login but it takes less than 30 seconds to fully boot. Probably closer to 20.

7. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i have auto login, as well, and it takes 24 seconds from the chime to the desktop.

8. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Erm, I don't want anything to open at start up. I have no reason to do so.

9. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I don't know but I know its shorter than windows xp and linux Fedors core 3:)

Bless