How long for stats update?

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by mrgreen4242, Jul 26, 2005.

1. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

How long does it take for a user to appear on the Folding@Home statistics page? I started folding at work today and I was trying to see make sure that the points are being recorded properly and that they are going for the MR team.

I have one machine running now, which is my PC at work, but I am going to be adding another 5 older PCs once I have the time to get them configured. Some of them are quite old/slow, but I figure that something is better than nothing.

2. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Once you have folded your first wu. Plus a few hours for it to be reregistered through the servers.

Thanks for joining our team and making the world a better place :)

3. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Thanks... I was thinking that it would post when the first WU was complete, and I was right... I checked this morning and it looks like my first WU is a monster... 400 frames that are taking about 13 minutes each to complete on this P4 1.8ghz machine. So, I don't think I will be posting any points until later this week. I'm trying to get these OLD machines up and running work, but the problem I am having is actually a lack of network ports. I need to find an unused hub somewhere so I can get them all online. They are some pretty ancient computers, all the way down to PII's and some PIII's, so I would like to try and cluster them together to share work units.

The trouble is that they HAVE to be Windows (98) boxes, as they are technically spares that have to be ready to deploy to my coworkers if they need a replacement machine while I fix up their normal computer... Any suggestions?

4. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

N/M the above question... I looked at the machines and determined that the P2's were too slow to keep around (350mhz was the fastest), and just stuck with the 2 P3's (500mhz and 1ghz). Those two are fast enough to finish WU's within the deadline on their own, so they're up and running.

I have 4 P4 1.7ghz machines folding for the MR team now, at about 80% time or more, and the 2 p3's going at 100% 24/7. I don't think my first WU will go through for another couple days, but there should a bunch finishing all around then so hopefully it will make a decent contribution. I'd add my mini but the increase in CPU use causes the fan to spin up and I really like my computer to be as close to silent as possible. Alas, I have a bunch of Windows machines folding for the MR team, and not a single Mac!

5. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Shame on you! :D Welcome to the MacRumors folding team!