how long have you been using macs for

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mac15, Apr 12, 2002.

1. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

I've had my iMac for about 2 and a half years
    yep I got it december 14 2000
    I think its a rev E imac (I know its summer 2000)
    I know some people have used mac since the 80s
    and that is so cool
    APPLE FOR LIFE

2. Geert macrumors 6502a

Geert

another good thread to get to know eachother:p

I bought my iMac summer 2000 (iMac DV+ 450)
    Although I started working on Apple, Apple II, Apple IIC, Apple Macintosh 128K, etc ...
    I also slightly remember the IILC, the Quadra series, although we never had that at home (friends did)
    The most remarkable machine i thought was the SE/30 that was one speedy, cool machine. I even remember that when the first models came out they wheren't really 30 Mhz, this had to be fixed with a patch Apple released! so actually the SE/30 never (hardware seen) was a 30 Mhz sys.

I lost track somewhere in the early '90ies. Odd though that that was the period that Apple suffered the most

When Steve came back so did I
    I started following Apple news again, and until now never regretted one single second!
    And since then Apple is also peekin' and they will keep on peekin'!!!!
    Because I said so.

3. trinitishwar macrumors member

Since '86 when I got a Mac Plus. I think I was 12 at the time. I purchased a game for it called Shadowgate. It only had black and white graphics but it kicked ass. I wish I could find it again.

4. iGav macrumors G3

I've been using Macs religiously since 1994 although I had some experience on them from the previous year....

I brought my first mac in 1998 which was a Beige desktop G3 266Mhz with 128Mb RAM, that was eventually upgraded to a whopping 192Mb, I sold that at the start of last year for £800 or about $1200 (US)

I used the proceeds towards a Rev a TiBook 500Mhz with 512Mb RAM, that I'm using now, and am most happy with it, although I sometimes feel that its getting alittle underpowered now.....

My next purchase will be a super h-end TiBook pref with a G5 bolted in, and a G5 tower for rendering, both will Rev b's though..... Am not in any rush to be one of the first this time around unlike what I was with the TiBook!!

5. kishba macrumors 6502a

kishba

well.... i hated macs until three years ago when i woke up and realized i wanted a laptop

my mac friend convinced me i wanted a powerbook

the rest is history :) i still have my powerbook 400 (which i use for surfing in bed everyday) and now am the proud owner of my quicksilver 867 (tricked out with 1.5 gig ram, superdrive, and extra video card--don't forget the apple 17" lcd)

i don't think i'll buy another pc again... and if i do--i'll think twice about and make sure i absolutely need it

as eyelikeart said, "once you go mac, you never go back"

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I bought my first mac in 96, but I had one at work in 94. Before that I had played on them on and off at school since 88 or so. Now I'm on my third machine.

Vive le mac!

7. freedom macrumors member

Royal Midsommarkransen, Stockholm, Sweden
    Back in the days…

I think I first laid hands on a mac
    in father´s office back in ´85 or
    something… 10 inch screen!!!
    My first mac was a SE30 with
    colour, retired from my dad´s
    agency. Must have been early ´90´s.
    Moved on to a PM 4400.
    It broke down :(
    Hammer in the harddrive!!!
    Now I have a shining G4 733 CDRW.
    Next purchase will probably be a TiBook…
    I have to admit that my father´s macs
    were his own, only his. Hands off…
    That was probably the reason I got the SE30…

8. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

late bloomer over here...

to answer the question...nearly 6 years...

I didn't even learn how to use a computer until I was a senior in high school...we had these old Apple systems (I think they may have been Apple III...sorry a bit fuzzy!)...but I didn't think much of it. I learned how to get around on a pc soon after and that's when I first learned about the internet...Prodigy was the big name in ISPs.

My first encounter with a Macintosh was in the Fall of '96 at a community college. I took a computer graphics class for the hell of it (yes I'm telling this story again for those who find it painfully familiar) and of course they taught on Mac. 7100's with 60 & 70 Mhz processors if I'm not mistaken...System 7.5 I think...damn! I learned Mac was the big thing for graphics...my mother bought me a clone (Motorola Starmax 3000/160)...and I tweaked that machine out up till the day I tore it down in preparation for my TiBook (last January)...

the rest is history...he he he... :p

9. kishba macrumors 6502a

kishba

was there ever an Apple III? I thought the highest was the Apple IIgs

I might be wrong because I was young back then...

10. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Apple III

now I am guessing....I don't remember 100% accurately...but I think this is what we were using...it was 8 years ago...

11. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

You were using an Apple III 8 years ago?! Holy cow! :eek: That computer was already 14 years old!

I started with a Mac Plus in 1985/6. I was five years old.

12. kishba macrumors 6502a

kishba

well, i was wrong :)

i used apple IIe's and apple IIgs's in elementary... both were introduced after the apple III... i can't this machine was introduced before i was born!

13. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I'm a pc user now, but we had an apple II, an apple IIe, then the first mac with a mouse, but I have no idea what it was called other than a mac, I then went off to college and used whatever macs they had there (1990-1994 versions). I think they went from classics or whatever to some sort of powerpc model, but I'm not sure.

After that, I had a black Next computer, and looking back, for some reason, i bought an IBM. Since then, I've had another IBM and a Compaq.

Hopefully a new TiBook will come out soon, and i'll go back to my roots.

14. 780pullman macrumors newbie

I have been using macs since I was born. Although I didn't get my own machine until 98 (Blueberry iBook). I remember my dad having an apple II. I have a great story about that machine. One day when I was very young I was playing on his machine and decided to put everything in the trash and empty it not knowing what I was doing. After I saw how mad my dad was at me it started to spark my interest in computers and naturally with all the macs around our house I used those. However during the down period in the early 90's my dad switched over to peecee. and everyday since 96 when the iMac came out he has been wishing he never did. I have never thought about switching. I love macs as much as anything and would not trade that apple II for the fastest windows machine out there.

15. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I totally forgot, before the Next, but after the mac, my parents had a old amber screen 286, and then bought me a computer to take to school... it was a 486 running at 33 mhz or something like that. Color screen, 20 meg hard drive. At the time it was great.

16. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

I've been on board since I was 9, and it was just called the Macintosh, back in 1984. Then I had a Plus, an LC, a IIci, an 8500, a 7200, a PB180c, about 15 9600s, and now a Quicksilver G4.

I've gone from 1 bit floppy based programs to 32 bit rendering on a 1TB array.

18 years, 400k, 1TB...somebody do the math and see if that follows Moore's Law.

17. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

re: Apple III

hey...I never said my high school was in with the times!!!! ;)

18. mailhojo macrumors newbie

Boy, most of you are babies... I started with Apple II's in highschool. We were using them to program in BASIC. We had to teach our teachers how to use them. Quite interesting. Owned the first Macintosh (without hard drive). Moved to 30se and then later to a LCII. I then went out the first week and bought the original iMac. Now I'm the proud owner of a brand new iBook and my new 800 G4 iMac with 1GB ram and airport is in the mail and on its way home. Always been a mac guy and always will.

19. King Cobra macrumors 603

I started using Macs since the Apple IIgs. I even designed little graphics on that when I was not even 8 years old. That is when I knew I would not use a PC unless I had no option!

My own personal computer was the 233MHz iMac. I have been using it for three years now.

My top model computer: you guessed it . . . the half-gigahertz Cube.

In the time it takes to read this message, an Apple computer will already have performed 15 billion float-point operations more than a consumer PC.

20. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Re: how long have you been using macs for

Hmm... I started off with an SE like 7-8 years ago... it was a gift, okay? and it was a computer at least. 20 meg HD. too fun. Bought an LCII a couple of years later, the fabulous upgrade to 80 meg, and color! Used that 'till i broke it, then used it some more. finally my dad decided one day I needed an iMac, so I was the first in town with it! blueberry, don't remember which revision. Man that was grand. I finally had a computer better than my friends. It went outdated rather quickly, as computers are wont to do, so I abandoned it when I went off to college. Now I'm on RJ's iMac, a graphite number that serves me well enough. Actually it's been quite a little trooper.

I'm dying to get my hands on a TiBook, as soon as I return to college my scholarship might get me one. can't afford those things! it actually makes me feel a bit small, all you guys have cubes, TiBooks, Quicksilvers, yadda yadda... I'm just not as involved as I once was in computers, so I don't go as nuts. But the TiBook is simply astonishing...

pnw

21. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

started with apple 2 in late 70s ? during high school and some non monitor computer in jr high in mid 70s

in college, studied about card readers and data processing

the class before me used an abacus:p

22. iflyguns macrumors newbie

Since the original 128 in 1984. Before that was using Apple II+.

23. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

For a loooooong time.

I was actually pretty late coming on to the *Mac* scene.

My family got the Apple IIe when it came out and had it for years and then we upgraded to the IIgs. I loved that computer back in the day. It had everything. Unfortunately we stagnated on the IIgs for a long time.

We never even had a 68k Mac. The first Mac we got was a Performa 6400 (I think--some Performa anyway). But since then we've been a very pound family of Mac owners.

My brother just scored a 933 G4 for his college graduation present from my parents. Makes me wish I could graduate again :D.

Matthew

24. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

Re: For a loooooong time.

get your ms in financial planning and have parents get you a dual 1 ghz

then get your dba-financial services concentration- degree and have parents get you a g5 or g6 (assuming that's what apple calls them)

and when you make partner, you can buy them a house:D

25. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I got my first mac around 2 years ago, a Power Mac G4 400Mhz. It cam with 128Mb RAM but I soon made it 512Mb :D. At the time it was running OS 9 which after quite a few years of using a PC w/Windows was a refreshing change.
    After a bit of getting used to, I found my self using it more and more.
    I am now on my secong mac, a DP 1Ghz, 1Gb RAM, SuperDrive, 80Gb and I'm loving it! Just waiting for my Dr.Bott VGA Extractor for my second screen, mmmm....sweet :D