How Long Is The Wait On a BTO Machine?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by paxtonandrew, Jul 4, 2004.

1. paxtonandrew macrumors 6502

May 10, 2004
    I Come From A Land Down Under

I am about to holiday in Hawaii, and I want to purchase an $1600 iBook G4 14 Inch BTO with a SuperDrive, and i am wondering what other users have experienced with their BTO orders. My It guys at work believe Apple Have a warehouse full of these BTO computers, which will mean there will be no "Lead Time", but i don't know. I live in Australia, and with some simple calculations, the computer is almost $500 cheaper :eek: in Hawaii, so this seems economical. If i ordered the computer on my first day there, how long would it take to recieve the order?

Thanks for the help. :confused:

2. PeterD42 macrumors member

Jul 5, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    OS warranty

Before buying anything in the US (or Hawaii :cool: ) I would check where you have to send it back to for repairs under warranty.
    Tis a long way from Oz and the postage is more.
  3. micsaund macrumors 6502

May 31, 2004
    Colorado, USA
    I ordered a BTO PB15. It said "estimated 3-5 days" for the lead time. I ordered on Monday night (6/28) and it is arriving tomorrow (7/6). That time includes one day of just sitting in the warehouse (today) because it's a FedEx holiday, otherwise, it'd be here today. I used the "Free" shipping option and Apple still sent it via FedEx. The kicker is that it came from Shanghai, China, so your friends who are thinking that Apple has a bunch of BTOs just sitting around (at least in California) is wrong. I'm guessing that if you do NOT get BTO, they probably have them sitting in a warehouse, but with BTO, I'd imagine they roll off the assembly line in China and go straight to you/me.

Anyway, I'm not sure how using the paid-for shipping option would make any difference since Apple used FedEx anyway. If I had to bet, though: I'd say that since BTOs come from China, they ALWAYS use FedEx no matter what you select (to avoid package loss, monster shipping times, etc). However, if you get off-the-shelf, which I'd guess ship from a country-local supply, they probably use FedEx Ground for "free" shipping (as they did with my APP package which shipped from California) and then FedEx if you pay extra for the 2-3 day. So, if going BTO, I'd personally probably say to skip paying extra for the shipping since there's nothing faster from China than FedEx anyway.

4. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Apr 9, 2003
    Canada GTA
    arrived within 3 days. ordered on 06/30 and arrived on 07/02. BTO Powerbook 15" :cool: