Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tpr007

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2007
Hong Kong
All day on battery, then plugged in at night - as others already mentioned.

Probably 5-6 hours of 'real' use (Word, Safari, some light video)

TigerMSTR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 30, 2014
Chrome Helper consistently uses 40% of my rMBP's CPU and results in constant fan noise.

Same on my MacBook Pro. When using Chrome, I got maybe 50 to 60 percent of the battery life I'd get using Safari. For years I had assumed that this was just how the laptop was supposed to run, until it was suggested that I switch to Safari for longer battery life.

Chrome's power usage is so astronomical that it can have a significant financial impact on the user. If you're getting only 50% of your potential battery life with Chrome, you'll go through your battery charge cycles twice as fast, meaning you have to pay $150 to $200 to replace the worn battery sooner. If I hadn't used Chrome for so many years I probably wouldn't have had to replace my laptop battery before I planned to retire the laptop.

I've now relegated Chrome to an Adobe Flash browser; I use it maybe once a month for a few minutes. Other than that I won't touch it. Don't want to wear down my battery any faster than I have to.

Reactions: izzyfanto

izzyfanto

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2011
I've now relegated Chrome to an Adobe Flash browser; I use it maybe once a month for a few minutes. Other than that I won't touch it. Don't want to wear down my battery any faster than I have to.
That is exactly what I use it for! I refuse to install Flash, so the times I need it for archaic websites, I use Chrome. Hate the battery usage when doing so though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.