Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBunny

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 15, 2004
I have an iBook G4 1.33Ghz computer. Fairly new. I was wondering how many of you have a similar 'Lower performance' (iBook, Powerbook, 1stGen iMac, Mini) and how long it is going to last you as your main machine?

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
iBunny said:
I have an iBook G4 1.33Ghz computer. Fairly new. I was wondering how many of you have a similar 'Lower performance' (iBook, Powerbook, 1stGen iMac, Mini) and how long it is going to last you as your main machine?
mine might last me til late summer (that'd be about 7-8 months.) not because the perfomance is bad; i just realized i love the portability of a laptop so i might sell this emac and get an ibook. but if it weren't for that, prolly 3-4 years i guess barring any unforeseen and cataclysmic problems.

Linksgolfer84

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2003
Wisconsin
I have a 1 Ghz TiBook that I'm counting on lasting me for at least three more years :)

Hey, I'm not a newbie anymore!! Didn't see that coming :D

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
My dual 1.42 G4 PowerMac will hopefully be good for another 3 years or so.

By then, I'm sure we'll be seeing some fierce new PowerMacs and I'll be ready with a bunch of savings to get one.

crap freakboy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
nar in Gainsborough, me duck
Well if left to the missis it's probably good for another 5 years, but come January 2006, that is if Father Christmas doesnt bring me something with a G5 in it, theres going to be some major failure to the logic board.

I know I have no morals.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
I'm keeping my current dual 1.8Ghz G5 for another 3 years, or until we hit dual-core dual 3.6Ghz G5 (or G6 designation) or faster. My rule is always to upgrade when the computer costs the same as my current machine, but runs 3-4 times faster.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
I'm a sucker for new upgrades. General policy, when there is a new processor. So I'll be upgrading when Apple releases a G5 PB/G6 iMac :)

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
i've been on this machine for almost 6 years -- i'm going to try and squeeze a little more juice out of this things ... maybe throw in a sonnettech upgrade chip just for a little more kick

probably last me anywhere between 4 months (that's when i'm thinking of getting something portable) or when it dies ... but the way it's been, doesn't look like it's going to happen anytime soon.

cooknwitha

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
London
I've had my current computer for nearly 3 years and as soon as the new iBooks come out, I'm getting one of those.

I think provided you buy a computer that does more than you need it to at the time, they last a long time.

This machine still works fine but it's time to go portable.

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
Hmm - my G5 is probably going to be my primary machine for another 2 1/2 years, after which it will replace the Blue/White G3 I'm using as a server =]

dops7107

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
Perth, Oztrailya
My last computer - a Dell laptop - lasted me almost 5 years. I originally was planning to build a new powerhouse PC, and I bought a nice new monitor to plug into the laptop in January. Then the Mini came out and I thought it looked ultra-cool. I knew it wouldn't be a powerhouse but I have Macs at work and wanted to try out a relatively fast one. Glad I did.

Er, so the original question - I expect perhaps only 2 years, because I am using this Mini as a bit of a stop-gap whilst I decide what to have in the long run. I sure like Macs but the PMs are expensive, which are the only other ones that don't need a monitor! [I'm not keen on the idea that iMacs are all-in-one - I've seen many bite the dust because of single faults that are uneconomic to fix, and you lose te whole machine.] But heck, I might be bored with this monitor by then so a shiney iMac would suit me fine... :D

Maedus

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2004
Indiana
This machine, a G3 Beige, has been chugging along for 7 or 8 years but its life as a primary machine is coming to an end since I'll be enjoying a new iMac G5 next week. *Does the 'getting a new iMac' dance.* I expect to use the new iMac until it breaks or until something amazingly better comes along (come on G7s). :eek: The monitor is 9 or 10 years old. It was the original monitor my brother bought when he bought his first mac, a Power Mac 7200/75. That was back in the day when there were like 50 different Power Mac variants and it was never certain which one was best.

With the arrival of my iMac, this house will have a G1, a G3, a G4, and a G5 macintosh. Maybe I should put all the computers next to each other so they can have a family reunion and the G1 can tell the G5 about the "good ol' days" of computers and how amazing Myst was in its day. :p

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
dops7107 said:
Er, so the original question - I expect perhaps only 2 years, because I am using this Mini as a bit of a stop-gap whilst I decide what to have in the long run.

It will last forever if you want it too.
I have a PowerComputing Power Tower Pro 225. Runs OS 8.6 and has been for the last 8 years. No end in sight.

I have a Mac 512K and a Mac Plus that both work. No end in sight for either of them.

My iMac lasted me 3 years, (when I got my PowerBook 12" Rev. C) and I want to have this PowerBook last for at least 5 years. Then I'll upgrade (middle of collage) but I may be upgrading it sooner depending on the way little pieces of paper colored green with special ink on them flow....

joey4127

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2004
I switched to mac not long ago. I got a Mac Mini, but I will be getting a used PB or a new iBook in about 7 months. But I will use the mini as a main machine at home and the laptop is comming everywhere with me, thats why I want to get a 12". But I don't know if i should get a USED PB or a new iBook for the same price :confused:

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
my cubes will be replaced when the mac mini gets a g5 and my ibook (600MHz g3) will be replaced next year about september when i get a 15" g5 powerbook +30" display :D.

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
i think my rev. B 12" pb will at least be may main computer for the next year and a half/two years until i have finished university. after that and once i am properly earning, i would hopefully like to buy myself the laterst and greatest powermac and keep my powerbook for portability!

Balin64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
In a Mauve Dream
I tend to upgrade at the right time...

I usually pick up Rev B products just as the Rev C is about to be announced. Granted, my current configuration is out of whack. I have always used towers at home but the iMac G4 was too sweet to pass up: my next desktop will be a PM G5. The laptop is somewhat tied to my job, so I have little say in it: I will probably keep it until the G5 PB's make the rounds: then, I will tell my employer I NEED to have it. :D

FYA

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2004
2 years and counting.

I've had my 12" PB for two years and will buy a new one in about eight months.

Hopefully Apple will release something new and very cool by then.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
My iBook G4 from November 2003 will hopefully still last me a good while, since I cannot possibly afford a new machine at the moment. I don't see how I'm going to be able to replace it this year, and since I'm also waiting for a new generation iBooks (or maybe Powerbooks) I might have to wait for a while...

At the moment I'm hoping it will work flawlessly for at least 3 years and that I can afford a brand new 'Book with a mobile Power 5, Cell based GPU and OS X 10.5 Snowleopard preinstalled for myself for Christmas 2006... :D

Jonnie

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2004
I have my dual 1.42 for nearly 2 years now. I intend to use this as my work machine for at least one year.

Then when the g5 is over 3 ghz and dualcore i'll buy one :p

Fredstar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2004
Near London
Well my soon to be new iMac rev B should last me a few years.
For me, it really depends on a few things:
a)The next Power Mac update
b)How well the next generation consoles perform
c)What is the future in gaming on a Mac
I don't want to get another PC XP computer just for gaming, and all the games i really want to play at high res; Doom 3, Unreal Tournament, Strategy games e.t.c, are available on the Mac. So depending on the magnitude of the next Power Mac update and future game released on the Mac platform i may be keeping my iMac for a good few years, hopefully will last me nicely right through the next 3 years at Uni.

Ambrose Chapel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Massachusetts
i have a TiBook 667/DVI that's 3 years old this month, and now i'm really feeling the upgrade fever. the Ti is choking on pics from my new DSLR...the 20" iMac is looking awfully tempting. i'll probably upgrade to that before the year is up. i may wait until MWSF 06 but i might not be able to hold out that long.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I've got the original G4 iBook (800MHz) which could probably quite easily last me another three or four years as my main machine but those iMacs were just too tempting (17-inch on order) and I'd really love to get a desktop than I can safely leave folding all night long. :D

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
This 17" rev A PowerBook is about done I think, it's the best Mac I've owned, but it's starting to show it's age and the life it's led, I've had it form day 1 of the 17" machines, it was the 5th or 6th one in the UK apparently...

All the feet fell off, there is a corroded patch in the aluminium where my right palm rests, it's dented in around the power socket where my dog pulled it of the sofa, it's scratched and marked all round. I've been having intermittent strangeness with the optical drive, and the HD has needed some Diskwarrior attention.

I'm going to wait to see what the next revision is, but I really don't see how this will last through to the G5 PowerBook, whenever that might arrive... :rolleyes:

I'll be replacing it with another 17" derivative.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.