Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I am a VERY happy owner of Visual Hub. It's the best $23.22 I've ever spent on software. I have yet to find a video format it can't handle or convert into.

live4ever

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2003
You never did mention the source of the video, all you said was avi and avi is just a container that can have many types of video inside it.

Also what is the output format desired (compress for the web, just viewing in iTunes)?

Any other information about the source video would help to design a workflow to minimize encoding time and maximize quality.

Some essential video properties to list (VLC or MPlayer should be used for avi to get their info) would be:

Video resolution: eg. 640x480
Runtime: eg. 45 min.
Video codec: eg. XviD, DivX, WMV
Audio codec: eg. mp3, aac, ac3

uaaerospace

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
Alabama
I noticed a significant speed improvement in video encoding when I changed my processor energy setting to Highest (System Prefs > Energy Saver > Options > Processor Performance: Highest). I have a dual G5 2.0.

Video takes a while to encode. Patience ;)

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
uaaerospace said:
I noticed a significant speed improvement in video encoding when I changed my processor energy setting to Highest (System Prefs > Energy Saver > Options > Processor Performance: Highest). I have a dual G5 2.0.

Video takes a while to encode. Patience ;)

Its already set to highest.

Im at work now so cant check but i remember there is an Mpeg3 layer for inside the AVI as well as DIVx plug in needed to view it.

The file is only about 600 x 300px (1h 47m). I encoded at 30fps as i want good quality to view at full screen. But 7 hours to encode is a bit much isnt it?

I have done it now and changed the name before i put it in itunes. :D But more info on speed issues would be appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.