How long should it take to back up my HD

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by prostuff1, Jan 26, 2006.

1. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

I have a stock iBook with 40GB HD and 27.5 GB used. I recently got an external HD that has firewire 400 and USB 2. Since i wanted to completely copy and make a bootable backup i did that with SuperDuper, which worked well but took about 1 hour and 10 min.

I was woundering if that was to long or normal? How long should it take? And if it is to long how can i fix it?

I guess i could look for drivers but the enclosure i bought said it supports OSX. Which it does i guess because it works out of the box but i am not sure if i am getting the full speed i should be. The HD enclosure i got was this one

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Laser47

It might take long the first time but if Super Duper uses smart backups then the next time you back up it should only take a few mins depending on whats been modified.
    For instance, I backup my home folder. Its 10 gigs and only takes ~8 mins the first time i backup. But then after that it takes about 10 seconds.

3. prostuff1 thread starter macrumors 65816

prostuff1

OK, well that is good to know. This was the first time i have done a backup so i am unsure of how long ti should take. I backed up all 27.5 GB to the external over firewire 400 and it took 1 hour and 10 min. this included makeing it a bootable backup.

Thanks