how long til next ibook update?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by timmyb, Feb 7, 2005.

1. timmyb macrumors 6502

Feb 2, 2005
    United Kingdom
    I am currently a windows user and plan to swap to a mac before I go to uni. I've settled on the iBook due to better battery life (mainly.) When do people think the next iBooks will be released, and when they are, what will the changes be, (speed, memory, price, bt)? Also, if they are held back for Tiger, how long will it be and will the new software eat into the battery life?
    Sorry for the long post, it's my first. :)
  2. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    According to the Buyer's Guide we are at the mid point on the iBook. Tiger is due by the end of June. Think that we will see an update to the iBok by Summer, so that should be good timing in your case. The speed should be increase, it would be nice if the memory would be increased, but not as likely. The price should remain about the same. The Tiger OS should have no effect on the battery life. Your post was just wright, and welcome to MacRumors.
  3. MacSA macrumors 68000

Jun 4, 2003
    iBooks are not in the middle of the average update cycle, they are in fact well past that - if the update cycle remains as consistent as it has for the last couple of years, iBooks could come in April, about 2 months away.

However alot of Apple hardware has seen very long update times lately and the next iBook may be no exception. The recent Powerbook update for instance, Powermacs are past the average update time - and lord knows what has happened to updated eMacs.

Most people are expecting Tiger to show up at WWDC at the end of June.
  4. timmyb thread starter macrumors 6502

Feb 2, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for that, it looks like I will have to manage with my PC for a while longer then :( .
  5. vtprinz macrumors 6502

Nov 30, 2004
    I don't think you'll see additional memory after the upgrade. The powerbooks got the bump to 512MB, but that's partly becuase they were losing any competitive edge against the much cheaper iBooks. If apple wants to keep the distinction between the i- lines and the power- lines, then I really doubt you'll see anything above 256MB RAM in an iBook. It is, after all, a consumer level product, while the powerbook is aimed more toward the professional crowd.

With that said, I also think we'll see something in the iBook line around WWDC in June, if not during it, then right before or after it.
  6. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I've just told my aunt to order an iBook so probably within the next month.

My sister got an eMac and a month later, it was updated and reduced in price.

My mother got an iBook and a month later, it was updated and reduced in price.

Unfortunately, each of those was a 'need' purchase so waiting for the update cycle wasn't an option.