How long 'til there's a market for 1st gen iPods?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by Manatee, Sep 30, 2005.

1. Manatee macrumors 6502

Manatee

I've kept all my iPods and their packaging so I can someday have a small iPod museum. The original iPod, with its mechanical scroll wheel, already looks like a (beautifully desgined) relic. I think it's the most beautifully sculpted of the iPods. Is there any hint of a collectors market for them yet?

2. Sly macrumors 6502

Sly

I'd buy one if the price was right, so I suppose the answer is yes. Looking at the Newton prices as a guide, I can't see them ever making big money, it won't be long before 5GB looks laughably small!

3. Manatee thread starter macrumors 6502

Manatee

Gee, I'd forgetten about the Newtons. I have a 120 and a 2000 buried somewhere at home. :)

4. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i have a feeling that since they were so mass produced, there won't ever be much of a market for the old iPods... but who knows...

5. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I could see there being a market for the 1st generation ones, but not for a little while. There aren't as many first generation ones floating around as one might think. They went from 1st to 2nd generation fairly quickly and didn't sell anywhere close to the number of units that the 3rd and 4th gen have sold.

If there will be a market, I'd say, minimum of ten years from the introduction date, which would be, what 2012 or something? Of course, that's for any real value associated with the item.

6. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I am looking for one, been watching ebay.. I just want one for the collection, and I would actually use it..

[​IMG]

7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Market?
    Theres always a market at the right price.
    Value greater than original price? When the devil has to wear ice skates.
    Value = rarity with hundreds of thousands of the little beggars sold, the only ones that will have any vintage value will be sealed, unopened box units.