How long til we see Mac Pro refurbs?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by quruli, Aug 24, 2006.

1. quruli macrumors regular

Just curious as to when we may see some refurb Mac Pros hitting the store. They seem to be doing well, so it may be some time. Any thoughts?

2. CEAbiscuit macrumors 6502a

CEAbiscuit

I personaly think it will be a while, as many that are sold are custom configured... can't return those easily, so the stock of refurbs may generate slowly.

3. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

I disagree; it's rare that a product doesn't hit Apple's Special Deals section within two months of its release.

In fact, I think all the Intel models thus far have been up there in that span of time.

So based on that, I'd say in about a month...

4. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

I agree with that statement. I'll add that I don't believe a second hand/refurb will be that much cheaper because of the high demand.

5. CEAbiscuit macrumors 6502a

CEAbiscuit

Still think it will take a while. Take a look at this thread in the marketplace:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=226075

Basically, because many of these Pros are going to be Built to Order, it's hard to return once you buy. I wouldn't wait around.. the discount won't be that much anyway.

6. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

But Refurbs aren't always returns, they're also floor models and machines that just plain broke, and we all know the stories about Rev A's...

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I say more then the 3 weeks we got for the MacBook. The massive amount of custom orders are delaying the first way of shipments and returns.

Then again even stock models can just go bad. :rolleyes:

8. dex22 macrumors regular

A good number of the refurbs are failed deliveries, or CTOs that had subsequent payment issues and card disputes. These units have never seen a customer's hands.

I'll predict an initial refurb discount of 9%.

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

That's barely cheaper then the academic discount. I normally see refurbs in the high end going for $100 more off the academic pricing.

So an academic Mac Pro at $2299 and then the $2199 refurbished.

10. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

That's what my money is on... also, after reading this thread I was thinking about the no returns on CTO systems and how absolutely stupid that is, especially now that the MacPro has exactly one standard model.

Seriously, they should have the same return policy on CTO as standard models, it's not like they are doing some sort of custom, one-of mod to them (like laser engraved iPods). They can resell a MacPro with a x1900 just as easily as one with a 7300GT, etc.

11. CEAbiscuit macrumors 6502a

CEAbiscuit

One month since last post...still no refurbs.

12. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The Airport Extreme and X1900XT orders will push it back. I know that people go the stock models but we're still seeing a lot of shipping delays.