How long To Leave Mac on for?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by The Lamprey, Aug 11, 2005.

1. The Lamprey macrumors newbie

I have a G4 AGP running at 1.4 Gighrz. I've always wondered what is the proper time limit to have it stay on? Max 8-10 hours, Or repeatedly on-off throughout the day when I'm using it.

Usually When I'm done using it I turn it off (old habit, waste of energy). But I always want to try to leave it on, But I don't want it to overheat and wear out fast, also I really don't know how long I should leave it on before letting it cool down.

Please post. thx

2. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

I leave my stock quicksilver on 24/7. Not sure if I would do that with a processor upgrade. Install Temperature Monitor, boot it up in the morning and take a reading, take a reading in the middle of the day, and then take a reading before you normally turn it off to go to bed. If the middle and last one are close, then there's not really a big chance it's going to overheat.

3. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

4. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Why, thank you! Yes, I would recommend using that Temperature monitor as well. Your PM may only report a reading for the S.M.A.R.T sensor, however and not the CPU.

5. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

What exactly is the SMART sensor??? as thats what i am getting with the temperature monitor..I cannot get the program to read anything except SMART..

Shadow

6. The Lamprey thread starter macrumors newbie

Smart and Temp reply

SMART is for the Hard Drive Failure as I recall and not for temprature. Any Smart Reporting will give you reliability warnings.

and For the temprature monitor. This program will not work for Upgraded processors with out any temprature regulating chips, I think mine is a OWC mercury Extreme 7455 and does not have any temprature reporting circuitry. I have tried using several tremprature reposrting software and no go.

7. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Pretty sure when you only get a SMART reading with Temp Monitor (like I do on my Quicksilver) that the only sensor available is on the SMART disk hardware.

Unless you get a CPU reading, which you probably won't, you won't really be able to get a fair test of whether or not it's overheating. Sorry! Look into one of those devices that mount in the zip disk slot and read temperature on the connected metal "pole".