how long to live for these products?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jefhatfield, Jul 10, 2002.

1. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    how long will apple keep these around?

1) crt iMac
    2) lcd imac
    3) ibook

3) tibook
    4) g4 powermac
    5) powermac in general

6) ipod
    7) os x

8) will mac be replaced by something else apple has in store for the future?

classic os is being retired, the cube died, beige mac computers died, flower power and dalmation bit the dust, and apple printers are no more

your predictions short term and long term for apple inc?
  2. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    so here's my breakdown chronologically starting with 2003:

i think the g3 crt imac has a year left and may see a g4 processor which would keep it alive for two more years if that happened

the ipod has two years left and then it will be updated to something better

i see the ibook getting a major new facelift during that time, as well as the powermac (whether it's a g4 or g5) colors for some or all macs are a definite possibility

tibook will stay in same form factor for a long time as will the lcd imac

the mac and the moniker powermac should stay around for many years (five or more) to come until apple comes up with a new line of machines

...and until then, imac and ibook will remain as names for their consumer lines

os x will likely become os 11 three to five years from now but keep the same basic aqua interface for many years also

apple will stay with unix until something better comes along and i have no idea when that will be ...but my guess is later than five years from now

steve jobs could conceivably stay with apple for ten more years if he wants to's just if he really wants to work for one share of stock and one dollar a year in the computer business when he is already a multimedia god

in perhaps 20 years, apple will move to texas or the northeast when it is apparent that silicon valley is no longer in northern california but in another region in the us

in thrity years, there will be no living founders of apple, inc and the company will be just another computer/high tech company indistinguishable from the rest

look at hp for example
  3. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Jan 19, 2002
    Jobs is 47, a vegetarian, and a billionaire. If anyone is likely to enjoy the fruits of old age and private medicine, its The Steve. I think he will likely be kicking around 40 years from now, although senile. He'll prolly go onstage at his grandson's school recital and promise all the little kiddies that one day they'll all have Apple II's in the class room.

At this age, he'll also have traded the jeans and turtleneck for plaid pants and a Hawaiian shirt. The grandkids will be growing pot in his wife's private vegetable garden, and telling the senile old folks that its a science project.

The G5 will also just have been released.
  4. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    too funny! esp g5

avg life expectancy for male in usa is just over 70 yrs, so if steve makes it to 77, with the stressful life of living in the fast lane of cutthroat silicon valley and sleeping 4 hrs a night, then i commend him

very few people can lead a stressful, sleep deprived life, and expect to live long ...just my thoughts of having been the hospital's death record keeper ...big money only makes you live out last years of life in prolonged, aged agony hooked up to tubes and machines (re: dr dean edell, kgo/abc)

as for turtlenecks going to hawaiian shirt, i can see that:p