how long to wait for new PM ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by dberg, Sep 22, 2005.

  1. dberg macrumors member

    Jun 15, 2005
    I was going to buy a new PM this week, with the IPOD deal ending the 24th, and the apparent lack of upgrades at Paris. However ThinkSecret has been very accurate in predicting new upgrades, and other people seem to report new PM's coming. How long should i wait at this point before it becomes "playing the waiting game". Should I just set Sep 30 as the deadline ?
  2. DeSnousa macrumors 68000


    Jan 20, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    It's a real hard choice I know, I don't think we are going to see dual core though IMO, however that's what I think I don't what to persuade you to buy the current line. The iPod deal would be nice though.
  3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

    mad jew

    Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Wait until a Power Mac comes out that satisfies your needs. If that is now, then get one now. :)
  4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

    Sun Baked

    May 19, 2002
    ThinkSecret has been predicting the dual core/low power G5 updates for over a year, so they either have to come true before Apple stops selling the PowerMac and XServe -- or not.

    Remember, these are the CPUs IBM has been having trouble with -- and canceling future versions of.
  5. rainman::|:| macrumors 603


    Feb 2, 2002
    well everyone's opinion is going to be different and pointless, but personally i would say they'll probably have something new out for the holiday season. If they release something in mid-late November, it would tide them over until the Intel PMs are released next year.
  6. dberg thread starter macrumors member

    Jun 15, 2005
    well the 2.3 would satisfy me for sure i think, but this PM is going to be something that is going to have to last a good 5 years or so. I know its hard to fight the waiting game but with so much speculation i really want to get the last good PPC G5 PM while i can.

    Another poster had a goog point that justifying a $179 ipod credit for a $3,000 PM doesnt make a whole lot of sense, and if you can wait , wait. Kind of a good point i guess... just sucks waiting.
  7. Xephian macrumors 6502a


    May 2, 2005
    United States
    Yeah, it's hard waiting. I'm waiting for the new Intel Macs in June 2006.
  8. dberg thread starter macrumors member

    Jun 15, 2005
    i think the most i can wait it 2 more tuesdays which would be almost mid october.

    if nothing by then its gonna be a while i think.
  9. wdlove macrumors P6


    Oct 20, 2002
    I have a Power Mac G4 that is 5 years old and still performing very well. Hope that will encourage you with the longevity of a Mac. Others have posted having a Mac older than mine.

    Purchase what you need, when you have the need. With Apple you can play the waiting game for ever.

    Waiting can be very frustrating.
  10. dberg thread starter macrumors member

    Jun 15, 2005
    yeah i have a dual 500 G4 that is usable. I just think its time for an upgrade. Its not urgent, but some tasks do feel sluggish, but overall I am not struggling. I was ready to buy after Paris but all the dual core hype being right in the next couple weeks has me waiting.
  11. wdlove macrumors P6


    Oct 20, 2002
    Mine is a dual 450 G4.

    Another thing to consider, the dual core will be a Rev. A. model. Many recommend to wait for the Rev. B model. At least to not purchase in the first 3 months. Your decision would depend on what programs you are using.
  12. JasonGough macrumors regular


    Apr 25, 2005
    Manchester, UK
    ah man this whole thing is getting mega frustrating!

    I want a PowerMac for my audio production stuff as my PC has had its day, and windows pisses me right off.

    Was going to get one when tiger came out but that 200hz speed bump thing pissed me off so i thought i'd wait for a better update.

    Still no signs of these fantastic sounding dual cores, and i don't want to wait much longer.

    would realy like to get one as soon as they come out, but i know buying Rev A machines is not a good idea, and i don't want to wait even longer in hope that they bother to do a rev B of the dual cores, which they may not cos Intel will be inside by that time....

    i know that a current model PM G5 would do me well, but it has to last 4-5 years, so i realy want to have somthing that is amazingly fast, rather than was amazingly fast 3 years ago and hasn't changed much since..

Share This Page