how long until all 1 ghz

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by jefhatfield, Jun 24, 2002.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

many pc companies have all 1 ghz offerings

how long will it be when apple's slowest machine clocks at 1 ghz?

right now, only the powermac goes that fast

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

When you say slowest machine are you including notebooks (iBook, PowerBook), or are u just talking about desktops (iMac, eMac, PowerMac)?

3. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

yeah, everything!

i think it will take until mwsf 2004

the next 1 ghz offering will be tibook, then lcd imac

but there is still the emac, ibook, and classic imac, too

by the time classic imac goes to 1 ghz, if it's still there, powermac may be at 1.5 ghz and a g5...sweet

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I reckon it'll be when the Pro-line are at G5 freeing up the G4's for iMac, iBook etc.
    So another year to 2 years?

5. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

actually we're starting to see 2 GHz now...which is almost sick to see when u consider how long it took to go from below 100 MHz to 1 GHz...

who knows how long it'll take for us to see it across the board...I don't think Apple is in any rush to make that leap forward...

they prefer to keep it interesting and kill us with suspense...he he he ;)

6. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

For the minimum to be 1GHz, across the board..... i think it's going to be about another 18 months until we see that.

The iBook (the lowest-clocked machine apple sells, other than the iMac G3, which i'm ignoring) has a low-end of 600MHz, the level apple was at 18 months ago. Given that it's taken that long for that to go from top-end to low-end, i think pretty much the same can be expected for the future. Let's see.......that would make it MWSF '04, wouldn't it? Ok, that's my guess.

7. King Cobra macrumors 603

You guys are probably right about a few years from now.

And assuming that the iBook stays the slowest processor I want this to be considered. Remember when the Powerbook went from G3 to G4 there was zero MHz change. I am wondering if the iBook does the same to give the Powerbook a quick gap in the lead of Apple portable speed. Then the wait may be another 6 to 12 months longer than that.

I would guess that in 2004 the iBook wil exceed the G4 and the classic iMac will be cancelled from Apple's lineup (at least by then).

8. ericb88 macrumors member

MWNY 2003

At the latest. And this is why, ok MWNY 2002-all powermacs 1ghz+. By MWSF imacs will probably be at 1ghz, or maybe 933 and 1 ghz. (close enough) NExt tibooks will see 1ghz. Then the one after than will see all 1ghz. Ibooks in the next revision will be around 900, then over 1ghz. Emacs will be in a revision b by new york for the new buying season and will be at arouind 933. So in a year we'll pretty much be at 1ghz all around. This is assuming G5's come mwny2003 at the earliest.

9. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Re: MWNY 2003

NO WAY! The TiBook will (or perhaps I should say, should) get the 1Ghz before home user machines like the iMac.

10. ThinkpadsRule macrumors member

1ghz for all machines by 2003 or 2004 pleeeeeaze. Apple should be making motorola get off thier a$$e$ and give us 2 ghz in the next few months or switch to IBM where we know the 2ghz barrier will not elude the mac much longer. The intel world has put 2 ghz chips in laptops and we are talking about 1 ghz chips in desktops. APPLE GET RID OF MOTOROLA!!!

11. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

I'm already happy as hell.

Since Powerlogix has recently released it's 1Ghz chip upgrades for Cubes, we lucky owners have joined the ranks of the Gigahertz Club.

I've also read a report recently about a daring owner who has transplanted an ATI Radeon 7500 into his Cube (details at http://homepage.mac.com/kmaa/cube.html#4), which makes his framerates 80% faster!!!! Now all we need is a nice slot-loading Superdrive...

...Maybe we can take it from the new TiBook coming out next month?!?

12. DavPeanut macrumors 6502

Classic iMac is gone!

13. Anon macrumors member

14. sjs macrumors 6502

mwsf 03 !!!

Several months ago I predicted that by that date every mac would offer 1 ghz. Which is not to say that that's the slowest chip, but that it is available. What would it take??

Powermac - done.
    iMac - 800 now. 900 at NY, 1000 at SF 03. or sooner.
    PowerBook - 800 now. 900 NY, 1000 SF 03.
    iBook - 700 now. 800 NY, 900 in fall, 1000 SF 03.
    eMac - 700 now, 800 NY, 900 in fall, 1000 SF 03.

Its only a strech if you think Apple can't go up 200 mhz in 6 months on the iBook and eMac. With the eMac we know the G4 chip is available. With the iBook we have heard that the chip is available.

The issue is one of marketing, and whether
    Aple really wishes to take away the excuses of wintel users who are put off by sub- 1 ghz speeds.

So, does Apple have what it takes to get over this hurdle ASAP?

15. King Cobra macrumors 603

If I am not mistaken, I thought we were talking about when Apple has ALL of their products go G3, from low end to high end, as britboy mentioned.

16. sjs macrumors 6502

Dell still offers Latitude X200 at 800 mhz for $1799

Im sure you mean "1 ghz" not G3. Anyway that is is the question, you are correct. I am more interested in when 1 ghz is at least offered on every product. And I think it needs to be soon.

Anyone else think Apple can do it by MWSF 03?

17. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

Re: Dell still offers Latitude X200 at 800 mhz for $1799

I don't. I think that the next revision for the iBook will be to go G4, and that when that happens, it will stay at the same MHz as it is right now, below 1GHz. We'll probably see a 1GHz iBook sometimes MW Tokyo 2003, i suspect. The tibook and iMac will probably be up to 1GHz by SF2003, although i'm not so sure the eMac will be.

18. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Moore's Law is that chip density doubles every 18 months, which means clock speed doubles every 18 months, too (give or take).

Apple hasn't kept up with this, but the wintel world has.

Had Apple kept up, given the slowest chip is currently 500 MHz, I'd say we'd see all GHz+ Macs in 18 months. However, since this is Apple we are talking about, we may not see it for another decade or so! ;)

19. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

Doubling the number of transistor on a chip does NOT in any way double the frequency of the chip. That mostly depends on the number of stages in the chip's pipeline and/or the processes being used (.18micron, .13micron, etc). For example, you can add 1mb of on chip L2 cache and that'll add a couple of million transistors but it won't increase the frequency of the chip at all.