How long until new iSight?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Spanky Deluxe, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

How long do you reckon it'll be before they replace the current iSight?

I know its still really nice but what with the iMacs in built iSights being 'better' than the normal iSights like Steve Jobs said maybe they'll finally replace the old one. It is getting rather long in the tooth now, after all.

Or do you reckon they'll leave it as it is and add in-built iSights to future Cinema displays?

2. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Well I think its more likely to be USB than Firewire. I would hope for a built in IR receiver as well. Also hope for a much higher resolutions.

3. Verto macrumors 6502a

Verto

4. jimthorn macrumors 6502a

jimthorn

Ever since I saw the latest iMac form-factor with built in iSight, I've been expecting a new model. Like aswitcher said above, I'd bet on USB2 instead of firewire. I'd also imagine a much smaller size, like the ones built into the latest machines. I recently sold my iSight in expectation of a new one at MWSF. Oh well, I can wait a while.

5. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Maybe they will scrap the standalone and just have integrated across the board? Just an idea.

6. Verto macrumors 6502a

Verto

So the rest of us who have a perfectly fine, new computer, but lack an iSight, are supposed to do what?

7. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Just an idea that popped into my head!:D Or they may make an integrated camera into all computers and monitors and upgrade the external.

8. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

What to do? Purchase the one currently available. If all new Macs come with an iSight, I see no reason for them to update the current one. It works perfectly fine and will be close to obsolete in the future.

9. wasimyaqoob macrumors 6502a

You said that it will have a built in IR function, will that be able to use with the Apple Remote?

10. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Thats a wish list thing for me. I figure that they need to provide Front Row support to users of older Macs which includes those using PowerMacs.

I guess we may also see new LCDs from Apple with iSights but I figure that would be a bit overkill for the pro users so a new isight wwith IrDA would be better.

11. Daz777777 macrumors newbie

I'm in the same boat in that I'm holding out for an updated version of isight especially in light of the fact that it's improved in the imac and macbook pro.

12. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

I'd guess that the displays and iBooks will be receiving iSights built in, but they should still cater to PowerMac and Mac mini users who can buy other displays than Apple's.
    -Chasen

13. EHUnlucky7x9@ao macrumors 6502

That's true, what was said above... i have a PMG5... and I want iSight! I'm not spending $$$ on an Apple display.

14. clcnyc macrumors regular

clcnyc

Sadly, IMO, I don't think the built in iSight is any better. In fact, I think the quality is slightly worse. I have the 20" iMac G5 iSight built in, with 1.5 G RAM, high speed cable internet...

15. swindmill macrumors 6502a

swindmill

can the built in iSight be adjusted/aimed? Or do you have to sit right in front of it?

16. clcnyc macrumors regular

clcnyc

No, you have to sit in front of it, or move the computer:p

17. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Exactly my thinking. If their plan is to integrate the isight, why would they also improve the existing one. Not saying they couldn't improve it, and not saying there aren't benefits to a stand-alone isight. Just that Apple seems to be going in a different direction.

18. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

I would hate it if my iSight was USB2. If they did that, they would have to update iLife to include support for USB 2.0 cameras. I would rather take up a firewire port than a USB port anyway.

19. zflauaus macrumors 65816

I don't have an iSight, but if my predictions come true, I might buy one.

For $99:
    1.3MP Image Sensor
    Smaller Design
    Tilt-and-Swivel while in stand
    USB 2.0
    IR Sensor for taking pictures with the remote
    Software to record video.

That would be awesome.:D

20. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

That's already available, it's called iMovie and Quicktime Pro. ;)

21. Epicurus macrumors 6502

Epicurus

I like the specs, but the video record option would necessitate a great increase in frame rate.

I'd also like to be able to trim the resolution for the video chats on the fly, to cut bandwidth when I need it. If I really want to show off I could crank up the resolution, but I shouldn't have to sacrifice the resources all the time.

22. Lazyhound macrumors regular

Uh, I'm pretty sure the integrated ones use a CMOS sensor and a fixed-focus lens.

23. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Front Row support

This is the first place I've seen the idea to add IR reception to the iSight, and I think it makes sense...at least as much as a dongle adaptor would for my Powerbook. Though, I'm not sure I want to watch a movie across the room on my 15" screen, with a camera mounted above it.....hmmm.

24. Spanky Deluxe thread starter macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Go and have a watch of the keynote where Steve released the Rev C iMacs. He says the camera is 'better' than the normal iSights. I don't know how or why but that's what he says.

25. zflauaus macrumors 65816

Sorry. Shows you how much I pay attention iSight and movie making.:p

Yes, you would be able to change the resolution for those with limited bandwidth.