How long until our G4s become obsolete?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by WillMak, Jan 11, 2006.

1. macrumors 6502a

I have the last ibook revision and I'm curious as to how long you guys think the G4 will perform at decent levels.

2. macrumors 68040

Daveway

It'll be obsolete around the latter half of this year, but should be able to keep up with Apple's software for at least another 1.5-2 years.

3. macrumors 68040

California

Well, I am hoping that they keep up with Apple's software for something like three years, since that is how long my Applecare warranties will run.

What about our computers will be obsolete? Like how OS9 is obsolete?

4. macrumors regular

Kirbdog

I think it will be a long time 5+ years before the G4 becomes obsolete. I know people that are still running old G3 iMacs. Granted it is far from the latest and greatest but it still works fine. (Running OSX 10.3) When I was at my parents my brother and I had a laugh using his 8 yr old PC. (that my father uses daily)
    I am still blown away by the number of people still running windose 2000. I think that the G4 still has a lot of legs, preformance will always increase. There are still a number of things that an "old" computer can do for you.

5. macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

I would say about 1-2 years before all PowerPC machines are obsolete as far as future software support from Apple is concerned. Sure they will ship new versions of the OS, iLife and other apps. that might be "dual platform" but you will find that most features will only work if you have an Intel processor.

6. macrumors 68040

Daveway

5+ years for G4 support is a dream, maybe even for the G5, I hate to break your heart. This will be a quick transition and the G4 is an already dated chip.

7. macrumors G3

iMeowbot

The time to obsolescence is going to be completely different for every user. In my case PowerPC machines won't be obsolete for a loooooong time because there are a few old Classic programs I want to keep around. Macintel will matter only when a new program (or version) comes out with features I really want, that doesn't run on a PowerPC. There's no predicting when that will happen; it's not going to be when the first Intel-only program appears, unless that happens to be something I want to use.

I know I'm going to end up with pairs of machines to run old and new stuff, just like the last time they did this :(

8. macrumors demi-god

LethalWolfe

Until your G4 no longer meets your computing needs.

Lethal

9. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Definitely agree. I'm using an old Power Mac G3 (233 MHz) as a file/Ventrilo server and it works fine.

Windows 2000 was not a bad OS, in fact I prefer it to XP. 98 on the other hand... :eek:

10. macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

In terms of software i think we g4 people have a good 1-1.5 years, but think of it this way. Whatever software you have right now and runs will always run. It is a bit disapointing, but o well i guess, i do not buy that much software to begin with. I really kind of do wish that i had just bought a windows laptop, just because i am not sure how apple handles these types of transitions.

11. macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

I think windows 2000 was MS best OS to date...

12. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I second this motion. Yeah, scary.

Anyways, I have a Quicksilver 2002 (933 Mhz) at work as my primary computer. It's just used for terminal grunt work, application testing, and the occasional MacWorld Keynote.

Yeah, it's going on 4 years old already but it does that I want it to do. The only issue I have is the Radeon 9000 in it. Unless you need the bleeding edge you'll be fine for 3-4 more years.

Hell I'm fine using my Power Mac 8500/150. That thing is going 10 years old. I have Office, Photoshop, and Mac OS 8.6 on it. It's fine for what it does. Even if it is pokey it's great to use.

The same goes for my Power Mac G3 450.

13. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Will apple make the next OS G4 compatible?

14. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The current OS is still G3-compatible, so I'd expect the next one to still support the G4.

What was the last G3 system? The April 2003 iBook? Contrast that with the last G4 system, which they're still selling, and I'd say that G4 support will exist in OS X until at least 2009.

15. thread starter macrumors 6502a

damn if april 2003 was the last G3... That means from 2003-2006, just three years, the ibooks would have seen 3 different proccesors!!!!

16. macrumors G3

iMeowbot

We have a three year contract for OS X upgrades, Apple had better deliver something!

17. macrumors 603

solvs

No. Apple will stop selling G4/5's by the end of the year, and immediately after that all new software will only run on the Intel chips. All other users will be left in the cold unless they buy a new Mac.

Seriously though, you'll be fine for awhile. Leopard will be PowerPC compatible thanks to Universal Binaries. Apple would be shooting themselves in the foot if it wasn't because most of their users will still have G4s or G5s. At the least, I'd say 2-3 years from now. More likely it will be 4-5, since the version after Leopard will probably be compatible with older Macs as well. Some future software may not, especially the high end stuff, but I suspect the G4 still has a few years to go before it's "obsolete". The G5 even more probably.

18. macrumors Core

MacNut

The adoption to Intel will take time as most people wont jump until they have too so Apple wont want to leave 80% of there customers in the cold. I say by the time 10.6 comes out is when the PPC will be obsolete.

19. macrumors Core

MacNut

Actually how old is the G4 chip? 8 years, what was the official life span on the G4 supposed to be.

20. macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

G4s? :p The hell are you complaining about?;)

21. macrumors 68000

Deepdale

I'm in complete agreement. There is a big difference between technological and practical obsolesence. If a user's needs are relatively straightforward and the computer being utilized still allows that person to do what has to be done and enjoy the process, then it hardly pays to focus on or fret over the latest releases.

22. macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Throw another vote in for these sentiments. Sure I'd love the latest and greatest but I don't need it. I'm a home user (not a pro). Do I really care if something takes a few seconds longer to do? Probably not, the only time I really notice my Rev A Powerbook hanging a little is when I'm encoding video. Since I do that less than once a month, it's no skin off my nose to do it when I'm going to be out or overnight.

23. macrumors 68000

Deepdale

It is often embarrassing to be within hearing distance of these conversations, but I regrettably have listened to owners of different systems argue and debate over the so-called bragging rights and significance of having an application open in 5 seconds vs. 8 seconds, and how a music CD was burned in 7 minutes as opposed to 8:30.

We all like to think our time is so terribly valuable, but a considerable number of people need a major reality check. Compared to many who regularly post on MR, my typical daily usage would be deemed simplistic and laughable, but my G3 iMac still gets the basics done.

I am getting closer to a buying decision on a laptop and want to have something to last five years, but no one should consider their systems as obsolete since new products are the lifeblood of all industries ... as for the need for speed, I am with Applespider. If something is much more demanding, do it in the overnight hours. And, besides, time spent sleeping will take away from time spent worrying.

24. macrumors 65816

MacTruck

It will be a long while before your G4 is useless if apple keeps stripping features from their intel line.

25. macrumors 603

solvs

Couldn't be all that that valuable, especially considering where we all are. I, for one, waste most of my time. To be far though, at the moment my time is pretty worthless. But I'm also impatient with computers, so it all evens out.

Odd, because I'm pretty patient with almost anything else. Even kids. Most of the time.