How long until we see a home server?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Cecret, Mar 12, 2003.

1. Cecret macrumors member

Mar 1, 2003
    With homes adding additional computers at a rapid pace, and computers getting faster, how long until we see home systems of a central server and expandable access points (work stations of a keyboard, mouse, monitor) eliminating the need for individual boxes in each room?
  2. alex_ant macrumors 68020

Feb 5, 2002
    All up in your bidness
    I think that with Rendezvous now here, client-client home networking - where all computers are both clients and servers - will grow much more popular than client-server. Both models allow you to access whatever resources you need from any computer in the house, but client-client is less expensive and easier because you don't need a dedicated server.
  3. Cecret thread starter macrumors member

Mar 1, 2003
    with a client client model, can you access the processing power of a more powerful
    machine (client) from a less powerful one for processer intensive tasks like fcp realtime effects? Or would you be limited by the machine you are on?
  4. timbloom macrumors 6502a

Jan 19, 2002
    I would love to see an iServe, not powerful or anything, but say as airport base station with a hard drive for network backup.

More thoughts would be: a small darwinian OS for running services like apache, smb, afp, ipfw, printersharing, airport, bluetooth, possibly a firewire port if need-be..
    stuff that only small offices or homes would need. Being able to use backup and isync locally and much faster than burning to a cd or transfering to a .mac account. I think it would be great for home use, but probably not practical for mass production and retail.