Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

L T

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2013
UK
I am thinking of selling my 2012 Mac Mini and iPad mini to buy a MacBook Air 13inch 2013 as my main machine.

How many years could I get out of it? Is a Mac Mini likely to last longer than a MacBook Air?

Also, my Mac Mini has the following specs 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD

The MBA would be a 1.3GHz Intel Core i5/8GB RAM/128GB SSD

Would the MBA be sluggish compared to my current Mini?

Thanks guys

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
How many years could I get out of it? Is a Mac Mini likely to last longer than a MacBook Air?

Its hard to put a number, because it depends on your usage, and quite honestly, luck. It would not be unreasonable to expect 5 years out of it. IMHO. As far as lasting longer than the Mini, there is nothing that would make one last longer than the other, other than the MBA being carried around and possibly being dropped vs. the mini which would be safe in a desk. The MBA should last just as long as a Mini all else being equal.

Would the MBA be sluggish compared to my current Mini?

No, quite the contrary. I think you will find it much snappier. The SSD makes all the difference in the world.

jadAce

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2013
The MacBook Air would definitely last you a good 3-5 years or even more, depending on wear and tear, from what I have read on these forums. It would definitely be an improvement over the Mini, IMHO, because as ZBoater mentioned, the SSD is night and day compared to standard HDDs. Also, the Haswell processor is pretty good at power efficiency.

L T

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2013
UK
Thanks for the speedy reply,

Not being that knowledgeable on the internals, I would have thought the 2.5Ghz processor would be better than the 1.3Ghz in the MBA.

And yep, my Mini is sate safely on my desk and won't be moved from that spot! Although I love my gadgets and a MBA would be cared for wherever it goes!

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Thanks for the speedy reply,

Not being that knowledgeable on the internals, I would have thought the 2.5Ghz processor would be better than the 1.3Ghz in the MBA.

And yep, my Mini is sate safely on my desk and won't be moved from that spot! Although I love my gadgets and a MBA would be cared for wherever it goes!

The MBA i5 can boost over 2.5GHz, and the SSD will more than make up the difference. I think you will notice a significant increase in perceived performance from the SSD alone.

tobeornottobe

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2013
I'm still on my late 2010 11" MBA with core 2 duo and 2gb ram. I am to use it for at least 4 to 5 years.

gagaoin

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2013
Yes, that's right. 3-5 years+ I got the original 1st macbook air 2008 and it's now over than 5 years and it's still working perfectly fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.