How long will apple carry on with OS X?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macgeek2005, May 22, 2006.

1. macgeek2005 macrumors 65816

Apple has been updating OS X for much longer than any other system they've ever had.

Are they afraid of moving on? Is it because they have so solidly built what they now have that they're afraid to go into new territory?

It's true, that they've developed OS X into an extremely solid amazing operating system, but what's next?

I'm gonna be pissed if they go all the way to 10.9... and then wait 5 years... and THEN... release whatevers next..

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Each point upgrade of OS X is really more like a complete upgrade under the classic OS scheme.

Specifically, the enhancements we've seen from OS X 10.0 to OS X 10.4 are much more like stuff you'd see between something like System 7 and OS 9.

They could have called OS X 10.1 something like OS XI (meaning we'd be on OS XIV now), but they like the OS X moniker.

3. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I hope they continue to incrementally improve it indefinitely, at least until something better comes along. I trust they'll be putting R&D money into the area, if not now then when the time seems appropriate. Steve did say that OS X was good for 20 years, and I'm pretty cool with taking his word for it tbh ;)

4. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Get used to OSX for I'd say at least another 6 or so years (10, according to Steve, i think). It's not that things aren't changing as much as old OS revisions, it's just that OSX has become a publicly recognized name, and it sounds good, so they're gonna keep it until something really big comes along.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

IIRC, when Apple introduced MacOS X, it said that the new OS would reign for the next twenty (20) years. Do you believe that Apple should move on for the sake of moving on, or do you believe that Apple should move on when MacOS X is no longer able to support the features Apple wants to incorporate into its OS? As for me, I am in the camp that believes that Apple should replace MacOS X when it can no longer do the job. This event seems to be coming no time soon. If you are pissed when Apple goes all the way to MacOS X 10.9, then what are you going to do when Apple goes even farther to MacOS X 10.15?

6. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Think of OS X as the name of the OS. Don't think of X as 10, and you'll get closer to the truth.

And numbers mean crap, Apple has been with the classic track since the first System Software, it was around for 15 years. So expect OS X to be around for about the same length.

7. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

What do you exactly expect them to change? It's a good, solid OS with a good GUI (that keeps improving with each version).

At this point, Apple does not need to move on.

8. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

afraid of what? They've got a stable OS that looks & works great. Why upgrade if it aint broken?
    This is the same company that up till a year ago held onto a 1 button mouse like the holy grail of user input.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This is why I stubbornly cling to pronouncing it as an "Ex" instead of a "Ten." :eek:

I think it's a good brand. Although if anything, perhaps they should just drop the "X" and call it just MacOS....

And speaking of which, I should stubornly cling to using "White" instead of FAFAFA.

10. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

That drives me Crazy! IT'S TEN!!! O... S... 10... :mad: :mad: :mad:

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

*dances around singing OS EX OS EX OS EX*

[​IMG]

12. Max on Macs macrumors 6502

Max on Macs

They're going to keep going with OS X until they buy Sun Microsystems and make a new OS based on Solaris :D

13. Peyton macrumors 68000

Peyton

not necessarily because it is 'broken' but because of competition. A sagnant company is a dead company and I can't see apple being stagnant. imo ;)

14. Pokeon macrumors newbie

Pokeon

As I like to say OSX 10.whatever

I never say OS 10.whatever. Its just 10.blah or OSX or both

15. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

The last version of mac OS started in 1984 and finished when OS X came out. It was around a LOT longer than OS X has. The only difference is that they changed the name in a different scheme than they do today.

I feel like I'm in Spinal Tap, where the amps all go to 11. See, its louder cause they say 11, and others only go to 10, right.

Its just naming. In fact, when they get to OS 10.9 and then maybe go to OS XI or 11 or whatever its called, it will still probably be on the current OS X base.

16. Mebsat macrumors regular

17. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

If I recall correctly, 9.2 came out after 10.0 - I seem to recall them bundling 9.1 CDs with early releases of X :)

18. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

It's just branding. Microsoft had originally planned to stick with XP for some time, switching away from the "year" modeling. They've since changed their mind, as it turns out. X11 is still called X11. I don't think they're worried about stagnation.

I do, however, think that the MacOS "face" will probably disappear soon. All the recent converts have no idea why the Finder icon is a face.

19. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

MacOS is taken. It is the name of the operating system that powered the Macintosh before MacOS X.

20. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

That will be a sad, sad day in Apple history when that happens. :(

21. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

*Plugs ears saying "la la la la la"*

Fine, be that way, but I'm sending the Apple police after you!!!! :eek:

:D :D :D

22. Max on Macs macrumors 6502

Max on Macs

I'm pretty sure my first Mac with X (like May 2001 or June) had 9.2.2 in Classic.

23. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

To OP: Jobs had said that Mac OS X will last for another 20 years this was said couple years ago .. :eek: :eek:

24. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

After OS 10.9, they'll do OS 10.10. Let's not get into THAT again. ;)

--Eric

25. Peyton macrumors 68000

Peyton

eh, I think predicting anything in the fast moving tech world is kind of blind. There is no telling what will be around in 20 years. One thing that won't be there in 20 years is 3 Ghz G5s