How long will jobs remain?

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by xelterran, Jul 1, 2002.

1. xelterran macrumors 6502

How long do you think Steve Jobs will remain at apple for? I really have no idea but i think he'll stay for a long time to come... also who will take over if jobs does leave?

2. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

Wow, I never thought of that. Interesting topic, though. Who would take over? How is Jobs gonna leave? Being fired? Or just resigning.... wow.... cool topic

3. DavPeanut macrumors 6502

He will probably stay untill he is 65. After that, I'm going to be running apple.:D

4. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

They're doomed...

5. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

lol.. lol..

i think that steve will resign, if anything...

6. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    thats one issue that scares the analysts...who is being groomed to take over if steve leaves(unlikely) or if something unexpected occurs.

he does have that one english designer(can't remember his name) that i've read about...he sounds brilliant and well equipped from a philosophical standpoint...but steve IS apple and apple IS steve so his departure will undoubtably cause waves.

regardless, i don't see any big changes happening up top for apple anytime soon...everything is going too well.

7. IndyGopher macrumors 6502a

IndyGopher

Jonathan Ive(s?) is the name you're after. I don't know who would run Apple if Jobs left.. it would probably fall to an oligarchal approach I suspect.. I don't think any of the other top brass at Apple really has the presence to take over the showman aspect. Phil Schiller is not a bad person, nor is Mr. Tevanian (whose name I have probably butchered, sorry) but I don't think they have the flair. Maybe we can kidnap Larry Ellison and have him take over. Personally, I am just hoping Jobs lives another 75 years and keeps things at Apple on track for 50 of those.

8. GigaWire macrumors 6502

9. wsteineker macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

You whore. Just digging for some heat on this one aren't you? ;)

No, I'd have to say that a post-Steve Apple would be a very different company indeed. Who's to say that Jon Ive wouldn't be the PERFECT CEO for a 21st century Apple. Think about it. Apple has become a more and more friendly company, and its design has really pushed that notion. Who is responsible for that design? Jonathan Ive. I can see it now. An incredibly hip, young British designer with an uncanny knack for truly revolutionary organic design at the helm of the world's first digital hub provider. It's an organic concept, and he'd be perfect to pitch it. He's not overbearing, but very eloquent. He has an undeniably likeable presence, and he's bloody brilliant. And he'd still have Phil and Avi and the rest of the crew there to help out. Ive would just become the face man. What do you think?

10. billiam0878 macrumors 6502

I can't imagine an Apple without Steve Jobs... It seems like Jobs is the only one who can successful run Apple.

Bill

11. dongmin macrumors 68000

dongmin

Mouse

I see Apple moving more into the entertainment and consumer electronics market, a la Sony, in the next 10 years. Apple may be unrecognizable to us 15 years from now. So maybe, we'll see someone from Sony or Disney take over, someone with broader appeal and background than guys like Tevian or Ives.

12. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Wait for Bill Gates Jr...

You heard that father won't be leaving the billions to the kids, it might prove the incentive for the kid to jump ship and crush MS from Apple's high office.

13. wsteineker macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

Heh. Good one, Sun Baked.

No, I don't see why Tevian or Ive wouldn't be the PERFECT guy for a more Sony-like Apple. They both fundamentally understand and wholly believe in the digital hub strategy. Moreover, they're both incredibly media-friendly in terms of presentation. Nobody is more qualified to sell the "whole widget" more than these two guys. I personally don't see Apple bringing in outside talent again. It hasn't exactly worked well for them in the past. Better to stick with someone from the inside who knows the program.

14. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

I can tell you that the CEO position will NOT go to some corporate brown-noser. Apple was like it is now back until Steve got thrown out, and when the corporate bastards took over, they killed the company trying to squeeze out profits instead of innovation. Apple needs someone like Ive's to take over. Ives seems almost as if he's Jobs' son. Remember when they talked about how Jobs took Ives to his garden to try to come up with the design of the new iMac?

Apple needs someone who has learned from Steve. Someone Steve has trained and influenced for quite some time. Whoever it is, though, needs to have the spirit of Steve Jobs. That's what makes Apple special. It doesn't take the smartest person in the world to run Apple, it just takes someone with the right vision and state of mind.

"...Because the people who are crazy enough, to think that they can change the world, are the ones who do."

15. wsteineker macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

Well said, G4Scott. Very well said indeed.

I couldn't agree more with you on this one, man. It doesn't take an MBA to run Apple. Hell, it doesn't take a college education to run it. It takes soul and an understanding of what it is that makes the company and its products special. Jon Ive IS the man for the job. Let's just hope that Steve doesn't feel the need to give it to him for a long long time.

Think Different.

16. xelterran thread starter macrumors 6502

i read something in a magazine a while ago saying that the guy that runs Oricle (i cant remember his name) may step in if jobs did leave.

17. gerror macrumors 6502

Doesn't have Steve some kids who can take over?

18. wsteineker macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

Please, for the love of all that is holy, say that you are kidding me. Larry Ellison as the CEO of Apple? We'd go from a marketing genius with svengali-like media control to a total *******. If Steve was the iCEO, then Ellison would be Apple's first iD*ck. I can see it now... ;)

19. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

How old is Jonathan Ive? From some of those pictures in Time back in January, I have him pegged at about 40. That's not much younger than Jobs.

How about Tevanaerine (spelling?)? Is he older or younger than Jobs?

I don't think that Jobs will ever leave Apple at his own accord. More likely, he'll be ousted by the Board or he'll stay 'til he's ready to retire.

20. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

Steve'll be there until he's good and ready to leave. I think he'll be there for a long time...at least 20 more years.

When the market share is closer to 1/2 or more of computers...he'll retire and leave the company for someone else, whom is ready and willing to do the job, not for the money, but for the show, and innovation, and the splendor.

Jobs has a lot of work to do and an even bigger idea to fulfill...until he's done what he wants, he wont stop. Learn from history....he did it before...

21. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

several more years at most

he probably has some new ideas he wants to test out

he has already proved his worth in the personal computing world and in the animation world

what is the next step for sj?

22. wsteineker macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

TOTAL WORLD DOMINATION!!!! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Or something in sales. Definitely one or the other. ;)

23. xelterran thread starter macrumors 6502

24. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Jonathan Ives

People keep saying here how media-friendly Jon Ives is: has anybody heard him speak? Is he quoted somewhere? Links please...

SJ will stay till Dec 23rd 2012. That's when the world is going to end anyway, according to the Mayans, so that's good enough for me.

25. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg