How long will my laptop last?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dlisle20, Aug 16, 2006.

1. dlisle20 macrumors member

Specs:

17" PowerBook G4, 1440x900
    1.5Ghz
    512mb DDR333 RAM
    ATI Radeon 9700 Pro

I surf the net and listen to music on this laptop and that's about it really and that's all I ever have done and will do. Maybe edit the occasional video. Will this laptop carry on doing this job until 2010 and have the latest version of Mac OS installed? Or should I upgrade the ram to make it more future proof?Cheers for the advice.

2. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Defiantly upgrade the RAM, not just to future proof it but it will be a whole lot faster with more right now (Mac OS loves memory). The computer will certainly last until 2010, unless you damage it some how. It will probably still run the newest OS but you never know with this whole Intel switch, Apple dropped G3s 2 years before they said they would.

3. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

Treat it with some care and it should easily last until 2010, although by that stage it may not support the latest OS.

The ram is worth upgrading if you do several things at once. If not you'll get away without upgrading it, but later OS releases might need more, so it would be better to be safe than sorry.

4. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Don't be suprised to see your LCD becoming milky later down the road. My Pismo is goin on 7 years and the display is dimmed. :(

5. MacMan93 macrumors member

My 10 Year old PowerBook 1400 is still used today. IT has a wireless internet connection. Though not the *newest* OS (8.1) it is still usable for email and internet!!! :)

My iMac G3 400MHZ has 10.3.9 and is my main computer.....that is until I buy a Mac Mini!!!;)

6. dlisle20 thread starter macrumors member

OK thanks a lot guys i'll pick myslef up some new RAM from Crucial =)

7. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

May I suggest http://www.ramjet.com/ ? They have low prices and it is very easy to select the proper memory for your computer.