Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

venividivigor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
I'm going to a music festival somewhere far away, and we're camping there for 4 days, I wanna know how long my iPhone 6 would last if I set it to Low Battery Mode the whole time?

Also what about the Apple Watch if its on Power Reserve mode?

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I'm going to a music festival somewhere far away, and we're camping there for 4 days, I wanna know how long my iPhone 6 would last if I set it to Low Battery Mode the whole time?

Apple says about 3 hours more, whatever that means. If the optimisations to iOS 9 hold up, in total 4 hours more. However, we haven't seen anything more specific yet and I'm not sure whether Apple has disclosed in detail under which circumstances this was tested. If you're aiming for longevity, it's best to turn off all features that you won't be needing and keep the active usage (i.e. with screen on) to a minimum. You can get really good standby times like that.

In addition to LPM, based on its current state, consider turning off Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, potentially also LTE or 3G if you can. Turn off push notifications that you don't need, turn off (some) location services, reduce the brightness as far as you can. This should make sure that many background processes are not draining your battery even in standby and reduces the energy consumption while in active use. LPM is only a starting point, but it does offer things that can't be done elsewhere, like throttling the processor and networking.

Reactions: Hunterk15

AndyK

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2008
Terra
Buy a small portable ~2600mah battery which will give you one additional charge (roughly). You can pick them up in the UK for as little as £5. It won't be anything stellar but for a 4 day event, use once then (probably) throw away it's not bad & easy.

Your Watch has no chance of lasting four days.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
thats awful.. its a 6+, low power mode for the whole charge, less than 8 hrs of usage + airplane mode, thats a disaster..
I agree. I get about that usage on a REGULAR 6 on Verizon (which apparently is less efficient with power than other carriers I hear? T-Mobile is apparently the best) and I have -118 dbm for LTE while connected to wifi.

Definitely shows that iOS 9 has a lot of progress to be made. Was that on beta 1 or beta 2?

zeezey

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
I agree. I get about that usage on a REGULAR 6 on Verizon (which apparently is less efficient with power than other carriers I hear? T-Mobile is apparently the best) and I have -118 dbm for LTE while connected to wifi.

Definitely shows that iOS 9 has a lot of progress to be made. Was that on beta 1 or beta 2?

This is with beta 2. Although I have noticed people get longer usage times than me since I first got the 6 plus. Not sure what is up with it.

krabbenharry

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2013
Germany
Here is a Screenshot of mine, iPhone 5S
Powermode was the whole Time enabled, iam pretty thrilled with the Battery Life so far :)
I use it frequently, Music mostly, some surfing and Alien Blue ( reddit ) ofc.

tOgboNW.jpg

Reactions: jbs-horn

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
Don't know about the iPhone, but :apple:Watch Power Reserve is said to last you 4 times as long as normal. If you can get through a day on your watch, it should be able to last you through the festival.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Depending on how you are using the phone, a low power mode could potentially have the effect of not improving your battery life, or even making it worse during some activities if the processor has been throttled, forcing it to work at its maximum speed for a longer period of time to perform the same calculations that could be done in a shorter period of time with the full burst speed enabled.

I agree you should just buy a small battery pack if it's so important to you.

Reactions: tennisproha

Grayburn

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
England

Most festivals theses days have charging points dotted about. And like others here have suggested buy yourself a portable charger, just got a free Power Bar myself which EE (a uk Network) are giving away.

Reactions: jocamero
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.