How Long will they make the PowerMac G4?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by ----Bowie----, Mar 29, 2004.

1. ----Bowie---- macrumors regular

How long do you think Apple will keep selling the PowerMac G4? I'm new to Apple and I don't know how long they keep the old models when they bring out new hardware.

2. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

You know, I've wondered the same thing.

When the G4 LCD iMac came out, they still sold the G3 CRT iMac. The G3 iMac died about 1.5 years after the G4 iMac came out. So, if Apple uses the same time frame for the PowerMac G4, then it'll be dead this December (exactly 1.5 years since the PowerMac G5 came out). I really think that the PowerMac G4 will be around for another year or so.

3. lucasraggers macrumors newbie

They will keep using them untill the G6 arrives. When the G5 came out, the G3 still was in the iBook!

4. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

I think Apple are keen to be free of Motorola. Not sure what contractual obligations maybe on them though so that may dictate things because Apple doesn't need anyone else suing them just now.

I too think this is the last year of the G4PM.
    2005 will hopefully be the last year of the G4PB

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The PowerMac G4 is probably on it's way out, Apple removing OS 9 bootability from the eMac shows Apple is pushing very hard to get rid of it.

Probably won't last through the summer, and will probably be removed after Apple finishes filling the school orders.

6. lucasraggers macrumors newbie

Oh no! It will stay at least for a year in the iBooks.

7. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

I bet apple will use the G4 in the ibook and emac for a while. there is a good market for both machines and they are people that only need a G4. the ibook just got the G4 so its at that level for a good while. I guess the imac is more of a mid range machine now with the current models so it will see the G5 cpu long before an emac or ibook will. my guess is powerbooks next, then the imac etc.

apple used the G3 from 97 to 03 so I don't think the G4 is going anywhere for a while. plus since it uses altivec like the G5 I think the G4 will have a longer life than the G3 did.

8. Bear macrumors G3

This is a special case. They originally kept the Powermac G4 model for people who still need to boot into OS 9.

The other thing the G4 is still needed for, is Virtual PC. So I'd say at this point, probably after the school orders are in over the next few months and a month or so after Microsoft release the version of VirtualPC that will work on the G5.

So say somewhere between October and December in this case. It could be sooner or later as I am only guessing.

9. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I was actually surprised to hear the Apple is still producing the G4. For the reasons above it does make sense. I just wonder how many they are actually selling. With the release of Office 2004, won't VPC work with the G5 in that release?

10. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Well Quark for example only just went to OSX so I hear many graphics studios are still booting G4/OS9 to support it and will do so until they upgrade...This will not be a quick process, maybe by years end Apple can leave the legacy machines behind...

11. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

I think you misunderstood the topic. They were asking about the remaining life of PowerMac G4, not the G4 chip. The chip will no doubt keep going in the iBook for awhile.

I agree that I'd be surprised to see the PowerMac G4's make it out of 2004. I see them at the Apple Store and they look so meager compared to the G5. And they ain't THAT cheap. They should have kept the Dual 1.25 as the standard, not the single. As it is, a single 1.25 G4 is only a couple $100 less than the single 1.6 G5. I don't think there is that much call for OS9 bootablity and Virtual PC. Especially with the iMacs running at the same speed with a display included.

12. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

the powermac G4 isn't even made any longer. apple is just selling whats left. this is why I assumed it meant the cpu and not the model.

13. 1macker1 macrumors 65816

1macker1

I thought apple said they will continue working with Motorola to deliver the G4 chips for some time.

14. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

the chip yes, the powermac G4 no.

15. noel4r macrumors 6502a

the way they're going right now, i would say 3 more years, unfortunately.