How long will we wait for the next MacPro ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MrTed, Oct 18, 2006.

  1. MrTed macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2006
    Location:
    Paris, France
    #1
    Hi Guys,

    I really need power for my Home Studio computer. I want to buy a Macpro but not the first generation, do you know when the next macpro will be released ?

    thx
     
  2. Warbrain macrumors 603

    Warbrain

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2004
    Location:
    Chicago, IL
    #2
    I'd expect a bump in January in CPU speed, but nothing really else. You should really buy the computer now and get what you need out of it. There's probably not going to be anything major when the next update is released.
     
  3. SMM macrumors 65816

    SMM

    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2006
    Location:
    Tiger Mountain - WA State
    #3
    Just buy it, Ted. You are not in the WinDell world with Apple. I have had the first generations for the past 3 major realeases and have not experienced a single issue and use all three concurrently. There is no reason not to buy, other than personal preference, or finances. The technology is solid.
     
  4. mdntcallr macrumors 65816

    mdntcallr

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2000
    Location:
    Los Angeles, CA
    #4
    From what i hear, apple will come out with them as soon as they are commercially avail.

    ie November.

    it's my hope, but also from a friend at apple.

    Apple wants to sell the latest cpu tech. only reason why they were slow with core 2 duo is that they are using them in iMac's. which is a huge seller. so they didnt have enough of them to supply the laptops also.
     
  5. orangezorki macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2006
    #5
    My guess is Feb - March time. Apple have proven that they will still take their time with the C2D for the MBP, and 7-8 months is a typical cycle for the professional Mac.

    Personally, I think that an eight core MP is unlikely, and speed upgrades are not particularly forthcoming with the dual core intel chips. So, I wouldn't wait, but that might be me rationalising buying one this month...

    David
     
  6. minnesotamacman macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2006
    #6

    Why not the first generation. I have had mine for a month now and not one problem at all. I think Apple went to the mat to make sure this would not be a screw up with all sorts of problems. I love this machine. Best I have ever had. I added an optical drive, and 3 hard drives in six minutes. Never seen another machine to that yet.

    My impression, go with a Mac Pro now and enjoy.
     
  7. MrTed thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2006
    Location:
    Paris, France
    #7
    November ? March ? Apple changed technology in their computer but their marketing strategy is still the same: nobody knows ...
     
  8. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

    xfiftyfour

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2006
    Location:
    Clemson, SC
    #8
    Sorry, but your friend at Apple probably has no more idea what Apple's plans are than anyone else does. I mean, unless he's Steve himself. ;)

    Two, that's the silliest reason re: core2duo MPB's I've ever heard. If Apple wanted to update their lines, they would - they could order more stock of the core2 processors easily.
     
  9. PowerMike G5 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2005
    Location:
    New York, NY
    #9
    Just buy now ... the Quad Xeons are insanely fast ...

    You can always play the waiting game, or get productive today!
     

Share This Page