How loud is a rev A Xserve?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by 5300cs, Jul 27, 2005.

1. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

THIS loud (Turn your speakers down.)

I made this video clip a while back and just found it tonight. Some people might be interested in just how loud it is. Apparently with the rev A's the blowers run at 100% all the time which makes them so loud. I guess they fixed it afterwards. I saw a dual (or single) 133Mhz in a store once and was really quiet! :( <-jealous

2. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

Yeah they do get pretty noisy. I find its worse on start up, where the fans go loco :)

The noise certainly starts bugging you when you sit next to one all day

3. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

That is REALLY loud...........how are the G5's :confused:

better or worse...........if the same or worse, imagine Virginia tech computer room :eek: :eek: :eek: :p

4. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

5. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

i remember when we had these in school - but that was in a server room.

then again, if you think about it, most (if not all) of these are used in server rooms - where there;s lots of other noisy appliances.

still, thanks for the clip :)

6. WeeShoo macrumors regular

7. 5300cs thread starter macrumors 68000

5300cs

Yeah, it gets unbearable after about 5 minutes.

I'd be interested in any hacks to slow the blowers down. They do not need to be on 100% when there's no load; it almost never got hot when I used it. Even for extended periods of time, like installing a new OS. I'd also be interested in swapping out the blowers for quieter ones if possible, but I'm not a hardware person.

8. chatin macrumors 6502

chatin

Three Rev-A Rules to Live By.

Rules of Rev A Xserve admin.

1) Rev A's will migrate to the next to the second noisest equipment in the building, usually heating and cooling room.

2) Rev A's take on a sureal quality for their growling, like an angry god on Mt. Olympus.

3) Rev A's are very sturdy and indestructible. I recently changed out a Rev A HD in target mode, took about 30 minuites to dublicate between drives. If you think 50,000 hours MTBF is a long time, think again. Rev A's live as long as giant turtles.

:p :eek:

9. iDM macrumors 6502a

iDM

The Commonwealth of PA/The First State-DE
    Sounds like the revving up of a 747 or something. I had a friend who bought a Dell server to use as his everyday computer and the thing truly was louder then that though

10. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Does anyone have a clip of a G5 Xserve. I read somewhere that they have like 9 fans.