How loud is your MBP whine?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by debrey, May 11, 2006.

1. debrey macrumors member

May 4, 2006
    I can hear a high-pitched noise but it isn't very loud. I noticed it this morning when it was otherwise quiet. It is a bit irritating though -- not the low grumble of my Dell. Is this the norm for people who have a whine? Or are we talking about something much louder?
  2. mmmcheese macrumors 6502a

Feb 17, 2006
    This is the whine that people are getting their panties in a knot over.
  3. JoeKarame macrumors regular

May 2, 2005
    Well, I'm pretty much positive now that the whine I have can clearly be attributed to the camara. If I keep photobooth on in the background, there's no sound whatsoever. As soon as I switch it off, it goes.

Very odd really, but certainly not enough for me to worry too much about.

Someone else try it out could they, just to see if I'm the only one with this particular issue!
  4. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

Jan 24, 2006
    It's not the camera, but that's a pretty well-known fix. Just keep it open, and the noise should go away.
  5. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Have you even stood next to a GE F404 Jet engine? Its like that, but really really small.
  6. chosenwolf macrumors 6502a

Feb 4, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Mine was bad... So bad that I could hear it over my music at low volume. I'd sit in a room with people chatting and I can hear the whine (and focus on the noise with anger) rather than what people were saying.
  7. debrey thread starter macrumors member

May 4, 2006
    I had a one month return-for-exchange policy where I bought it from, so I decided to do that. It sounded a bit like speaker wire interference (when I returned it they said it was some sort of known problem with an inverter). I get my new one tomorrow -- we'll see how it is.

The noise wasn't that bad but twice it was loud enough to be rather irritating. Not louder than music, but definitely noticable when typing.

-- David