How many º's of celebrity are you?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by _bnkr612, Apr 14, 2005.

1. _bnkr612 macrumors 6502a

Mar 8, 2004
    I don't know any other way to word the title. But I was wondering how many people on here are closely related to, or loosely related to a celebrity most of us would consider one to be. Please don't mention local news reporters, Geraldo is an exception. If you have a large mustache we'll just assume you are related to him or Tom Selleck. OK, that was a small tangent...

Any degrees to a celeb?

Not me, though Charlie Sheen could be my older twin. (I know, I am only 23)

2. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    This won't mean much to foreigners, but I'm the cousin of the longest-running star of NZ's longest-running soap. And he's a member here too (no I won't give you his username) :p
  3. clayj macrumors 604

Jan 14, 2005
    visiting from downstream
    Stretching here, but I have a couple... I am a somewhat distant cousin (by marriage) of golfer Jerry Pate, and my grandfather (Robert G. Johnson) was Speaker of the House here in NC way back in the 1930s.

Hollywood-wise, my Dad was an extra in The Great Gatsby, with Robert Redford and Mia Farrow (onscreen for several seconds, 30 minutes into the movie), and my uncle's house in Wilmington, NC was used in the movie Amos & Andrew with Nicolas Cage and Samuel L. Jackson. (It was the house of the "nosy next-door neighbors" played by Michael Lerner and Margaret Colin.)
  4. Guitarius macrumors 6502a

Jul 8, 2004
    Yeah. My dad is an extra in lots of movies. He does that. He loves being an extra. Seems like lots of fun to me. He is also a world known (although not world famous). I think the farthest he's ever played was Japan.

And I've come to believe that I'm the illegitamate child of Ozzy. My mom was a Sabbath groupie back in the day, and I look way too much like Jack. He cold be my brother. Don't know if that counts though.

I think I'm also related to Jean Lafitte in some long round about way.
  5. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

Apr 30, 2003
    Well we had a movie in Swaziland..of Richard E. Grants he grew up etc. I was an extra there. He grew up in SD. But that doesnt really make me a celeb..though :rolleyes:
  6. tangerineyum macrumors 6502

Feb 16, 2005
    Ontario, CA
    Well kinda...

Well not me, but my cousin was an aide for Al Gore (before the beard) and is now a something or other in DC. Then my uncle works directly under the Governator. My 8th grade English teachers kid went to school with Mark Mcguire. And I was an extra in the movie Hook. cool beans
  7. alfonsog macrumors regular

Jul 17, 2002
    Cape Coral, FL
    My great uncle was the voice of George Jetson. :)
  8. Guitarius macrumors 6502a

Jul 8, 2004
    No ****? Now is that the old George from the series, or the new George from the recent(ish) movies? I'm assuming since it's great it's the old George.
  9. Chappers macrumors 68020

Aug 12, 2003
    At home
  10. Jon'sLightBulbs macrumors 6502a

Jan 31, 2005
    Girlfriend's grandmother was once neighbors with Jackie Chan in Hong Kong.
  11. MacRy macrumors 68040

Apr 2, 2004
    This probably won't mean much to anyone outside of the UK but I work with someone who's uncle is Captain Birdseye from the Findus adverts. The original old bloke and not the chisel jawed, action man looking one they had in for a couple of ads.
  12. MentalFabric macrumors 6502

Mar 10, 2004
    The other member of Mental Fabric is the cousin twice removed, by marriage, of John Lennon. Closest I get is the people whose biographies my father's publishing company has done, Monica Lewinsky, David Blunkett etc.
  13. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Apr 22, 2004
    San Diego, CA
    He's not really a celebrity, but he's world famous. I'm somehow related to the famous Capt. Bligh. He's my great-great-great... something or other. If anyone is wondering who he is, he was the captain of the Bounty, of the Mutiny on the Bounty fame.

And not really famous at all, but Mac related. If anyone remembers the old Mac game Moriarity's Revenge, my uncle made that.

Sorry, but that's the best I can do... :)
  14. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Dec 11, 2004
    ;) The cheery old guy? Everyone always said there was something creepy about those ads but I couldn't see it myself. My sister went to Uni with the current England rugby captain, and my late aunt was very good friends with David Hockney. When she died they found some of his work in their attic.
  15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    My step-grandmother's nephew is one of the most famous singers and actors in Hong Kong. He is incredibly big over there, although I forgot his name. :eek:

Also, when I lived in London, I used to live across the street from Sting, some very famous female singer (Aimee Mann or something), and our block of flats was directly beside the house of some guy who used to be on Monty Python. Not a big fan, so I don't know who on the show (films?) he played. The guy who designed the tail or logo (or something) for all the planes of British Airways lived 4 houses down. The front and back of his house was made entirely of glass, and it was in Architectural Digest once, I think. Pierce Brosnan also used to walk down to the pub 30 seconds from my block of flats. Oh, and Prince Charles and Camilla Parker Bowles almost bought the "house" across the street from our flat. Not sure if they did. Maybe they bought it. That house was even closer than the pub where 007 chills out!! Oh, and even if they didn't buy it, the house was actually owned by a movie studio, and they use it as a movie set whenever they need a huge house in London somewhere.
  16. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    I once had to help Don Rosa to remove a stuck cap on a pen, he smiled and mumbled something about "viking strength" and started drawing... :)

Later that day, I got this from him: [​IMG]

And, my mother's boyfriend was an extra on Finse, when they shot The Empire Strikes Back. And he claims he can recognice himself...

My girlfriend (and I) has also found (distant) relationships to lots of more or less celerities which is mentioned on our genealogy pages (mostly in Norwegian, but still...)
  17. dPratt macrumors member

Aug 16, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    My high school English teacher (from ~8 years ago) is Chad Pennington's mother (NY Jets quarterback). Surprisingly, after he got a multi-million dollar contract, she stopped teaching high school English ;)
  18. Wyvernspirit macrumors 6502a

Jul 23, 2002
    Greatful Dead

I'm a cousin, a couple times removed, to a member of "The Greatful Dead." I think that is as exciting as I get. ;)
  19. wordmunger macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    I once employed a proofreader who went on to win the Pulitzer Prize for Drama (Dave Auburn, ironically for Proof).

My stepmother's brother was Tim Hardin.
  20. leekohler macrumors G5

Dec 22, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
  21. njmac macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    My Uncle married Ricky Shroeder's Grandfather's cousin :p
  22. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    the closest i get is my last name, which belongs to Calvin as well...
  23. joepunk macrumors 68030

Aug 5, 2004
    a profane existence
    The closest I get to being connected to someone famous is when I was in Seattle for Capital Hill Block Party and was taking pictures of my favorite band Sleater-Kinney.

After the show a man behind me asked if I was taking the pictures professionally (I was using my telephoto lens), I said no and he asked if he could have some prints of his daughter. I was in disbelief and did not quite believe him. I asked who his daughter was and he told me his daughter's name is Carrie. Well, that proved it enough for me, here was the father of the lead guitarist of my favorite band asking me for some pictures I took of his daughter.

I got his business card and called a few day later and we had a little chat about other things and also asked what size prints he wanted. He was willing to pay for them but I insisted NO, he gets them for free in return if he could pass on a few drawing and poems my dad did of the band. Also, I asked if he could have Carrie sign two of my photos (now framed). I called later on to see if he got the photos and if he liked them. He loved the photos. We then had a chat, asked if I was a professional photographer (nope) and talked about travel in Mexico. He went to see Tulum on the Yucatan Peninsula but did not take any pictures.

Sorry for the long post but that is my only confirmed association to anyone remotely big.

Probably with my main German background there is some celebrity connection in the past. I don't know.
  24. SFVCyclone macrumors 6502a

Feb 24, 2005
    Pasadena, Ca
    DANG, you beat me to it! LOL :D
  25. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

May 30, 2004
    Madison, WI
    OK. One of my friends went out with this girl from California, who was friends with Hilary Duff. So, 3 degrees of separation from her and then 4 from pretty much the rest of Hollywood.